Sick bantam rooster with mint green diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brittany01, Mar 1, 2017.

1. brittany01

brittany01 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    One of my bantam roosters that I've had for about a year now started getting sick a couple of days ago he always crows at the front door every morning for me and the kids to let them in. We knew something was wrong the other day when we found him laying in the front yard when I picked him up he was very light cold and weak I immediately separated him from the rest of the flock I put him in a dog carrier in the garage under a heat lamp I noticed he had and yellowish diarrhea that now is mint green. Im not sure if that was a result of the antibiotic i started him on Tylan 50 0.5ml once a day for 5 days as recommended by a friend that was givrn orally unfortunately yesterday was his 5th day on the antibiotics so I am no longer giving it to him and have seen no improvement he has continued to lose a lot of weight and is now very weak even struggling to stand at times he will drink water that I have been mixing with probiotics and electrolytes I also gave him some bread with olive oil and chicken grit fearing that he might have something stuck in his crop my husband checked and said his crop feels normal so I doubt that it's that either we have checked him for lice and mites and no sign of those at all he's not really wanting to eat but is drinking water but I doubt that's enough to get him through 2 more days he's just losing too much weight please let me know if you have any idea what could be wrong it would kill me and the kids to lose our favorite rooster.

2. brittany01

brittany01 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. brittany01

brittany01 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    I for got to mention his comb on top is turning dark red/purple.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

What type of food/treats do you normally feed?
    Have you added any chickens to your flock in the last 30days?

Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of Cocci, worms or bacterial infection?

Try to keep him hydrated and add some poultry vitamins to his water. Entice him with wet poultry feed or some chopped egg or tuna to see if he will eat.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by