Sick Bantam Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jadedcupcake, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jadedcupcake

jadedcupcake Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Good Evening!

I have a Chinese Nankin Bantam, he is my pet and currently resides inside from the cold. He is about 6 months old. He has had stuffy ears for two months with this yellow cheesy substance in his ears I clean them out every other day. I took him to our vet, and they have no clue how to take care of chickens, and pretty much is like "kill it". I can't do that as he is my baby. I found this awesome place, and we now have water soluble Tetracycline in his water and have for about 2 weeks. I have a 20oz waterier for him that I put a half of teaspoon in. His ears aren't getting better. He now has really runny green and yellow diarrhea and his comb keeps swelling up with what looks like a water blister. I popped the blister with a sterile needle and got the fluid out, which looked like yellow water. I put original neosporin on him.

He eats and drinks normally and acts fine otherwise. He is very alert and "protects" mom when he hears noises and what not. I just want him to get better. Is there anything you guys can recommend as far as antibiotics go or meds that may help him? I have never given any of my animals shots so if it can be water soluble that would be great!

Thank you!

Here is a picture of him and myself for good measure.
    [​IMG]

2. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
  3. jadedcupcake

Jun 18, 2013
    Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The tetracycline dosage might be a little low. Different brands are mixed differently, but with Duramycin10 the dose is 1 Tb per gallon, or just under 1 teaspoonful per quart. I believe you can even double that dose too (check the label.)

After re-checking dosages, the maximum dosage of Duramycin10 is 1 tablespoonful per gallon for the 800 mg dose. The 400 mg dosage is 1/2 TB per gallon.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. jadedcupcake

Jun 18, 2013
    I want to thank you for your guys/ladies help. I found out he has a bad upper respiratory infection and the swelling in his comb can sometimes come with that territory. I am now giving him some Tylan 50 at 1/4cc 2x daily for 7 days. I found out from a vet friend I can give him it orally if I go 5-7 days and it should help all of his symptoms. I am cleaning his ears out every other day as well as Humble's gunky ear post suggested. After giving him his first dose of Tylan tonight I notice he had a little bit more pep in his step and became clingy cuddle bug. Which is okay by me, because he seems happier.

7. jadedcupcake

Jun 18, 2013
    I have looked over your posts and you are so awesome and through with your info. I actually learned how to clean his gunky ears from your post. I noticed the Neosporin and hydro alone wasn't cutting it. It did however work awesomely on my boyfriend's dad rooster who kept having wax build up. He cleaned his ears the one time and they have been clean ever since. Thank you for the dosage chart as well. I have my little rooster Leo, but I also have 2 full size hens outside that are in perfect health. But if they should fall ill, I know what to do. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by