sick Barnevelder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandracollins, Sep 5, 2010.

1. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    help only got chickens yesterday for first time they were all fine yesterday but the Barnevelder is sick today wont eat or drink and seems to just want to sleep all day but if a gone near her she runs off have her seperate from others but dosent seem to have other symptoms her poo a little runny but not too bad ,no discharge from eyes,nose or mouth cant find any lice ,eyes bright but just stands and closes eyes tried treats but wont eat help,

2. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Try giving her some scrambled eggs..its hard to tell what might be wrong since you just got her yesterday and she was fine then.
    When she was with the other chickens did she huddle by herself away from the other chickens?

3. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    no she keeps trying to get under the other hens as if she is cold so i brought her into the house in a cat box but no change, tried yogurt and tomatoes and sweetcorn but she shows no interest how long can she go with no water?

4. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    She needs to drink and eat. When one of my chickens try to get under the other its usually trying to hide so they don't peck her. Or wanted to just hide by the other hens. Do the other peck at her? I don't know why she won't eat...maybe someone else will have a better answer for you. All mine have always been vultures when it comes to eating.
    I wish you the best of luck with her.

[​IMG]

5. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    one was pecking at them all yesterday but this has eased off today she is like this since this morning is there any way to make a chicken drink

6. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I would keep a water bowl and another bowl with some oatmeal or scrambled eggs close to her. I wouldn't try to force her to drink unless you just dip her beak in the water some.

7. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    thanks for all the advice didnt think i would be in trouble the first day ,tried dipping her beak earlier today but she still didnt drink( i live in ireland so its now 10 20 pm) will try scrambled eggs in the morning and have water in the cat cage with her hope she is better in the morning am going to leave her in the house overnight just afraid she has something the others might catch.On a happier note i got an egg this morning from my buff orpington she is about 20 weeks i was told it could take a while for them to lay because they had been moved so i was very suprised when she laid

8. SummerChick

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I hope she is fine in the morning. I have 3 buff orpingtons...they are so much fun to watch. They run kind of funny, look very ladylike to me...when i let all my chickens out to free range they come out of their run and peck around then all a sudden one will start to run toward the house, where there is more shade but they have to run thru some sun...when they see that one hen take off across the field then the others take off running also and they start cackeling loudly...when i first heard them i thought something was getting them. I quickly found out they were just running and yelling...it makes me laugh all the time!

I wish you all the best with your sick barnvelder...let me know how she is doing tomorrow please.

Laurie [​IMG]

9. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    she is a bit brighter this morning gave her some sugar and water in a syringe checked under her wing and saw some little things running presume they are lice had checked her back when i bought her and didnt see any , her comb is a good colour so i am off to the vet to get something for lice,still not eating gave her some cat food but she wouldnt try it ,gave her some yougart in the syringe last night as well.will keep you posted thanks again

10. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    put her back out with the others she is pecking around and drinking a bit looks much better did them all with powder for lice fingers crossed she will be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by