Sick barred rock hen- what treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanPHXChicks, Jan 29, 2014.

1. UrbanPHXChicks

UrbanPHXChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi!

My 10 month old barred rock, Dolly, is in need of some help. She's my most food and treat aggressive hen but she is showing little interest in food. I noticed her acting different the past two days. Today is a bit worse than yesterday. I have looked through the Chicken Health Handbook, but can't seem to find a solution or guidance.

Symptoms-
    Lethargic to a degree- she's walking around but not as active as she should be
    Loose droppings- suck to her rear, seem to be greenish yellow in color and pretty smelly
    She seems to have a little labored breathing, she is opening her beak slightly when she breathes.
    I watched her do some sort of yawning/gapping action repeatedly this morning. Stretching her neck and opening her beak wide.
    She did not get off the roost this morning, was still up there at 9 AM. I pulled her down.
    She's spending most of her time this AM under the dark covered part under the coop.

Possible other symptoms & notes-
    No egg in 2 days (she's a consistent layer)- but doesn't seem egg bound. I felt her abdomen and visually checked her vent, looks normal.
    Two of my 3 hens (including Dolly) have had loose droppings for months, I actually gave them both a shallow bath 2 weeks ago to remove droppings from their rear feathers.
    They all get a few hours of free range time every day. Coop run is sandy.
    I just put some electrolytes in the water this AM.
    She is fed a 16% protein organic feed that I get from a co-op, its not pellets so I make a wet mash daily. She also has constant access to oyster shell. She eats a lot of grass when free ranging. I give treats occasionally- a couple times a week.
    Eyes, nose and comb all appear normal. Crop felt mostly empty this AM (certainly not full), but hard to tell. It didn't feel hard though.

I can head to the feed store today for medications- what should I try? There is no vet in my area that will treat poultry (urban area).

Thanks for any help- I'm attached to these girls and really want to try to get her on the mend ASAP.

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    try to feed her water with a dash of sugar in it... if she wont drink then get a kitten bottle with a long nipple and drop it into her mouth. food... get some mash and water and mix it up really good and if she wont eat then grab a toothpick and stick some food on her tongue. i had 3 chicks i saved last year by this method...hope she gets better!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If her crop is somewhat empty and not hard hard, that's good. Has she been wormed? Did you look for lice or mites? With poopy butts, just cut the dirty feathers off, they will just get them dirty again.

As far as treatments go, Sulfadimethoxine is for cocci and is an antibiotic. That would be my first try.

4. UrbanPHXChicks

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I picked up some probiotic drink, yogurt, and apple sauce today. I'll pick up the Sulfadimethoxine tomorrow and try it out. She's not too bad yet, so I hope I can circumvent the problem before it's too late.

5. UrbanPHXChicks

Apr 3, 2013
    Forgot to answer your questions- ;)

Checked for lice and mites- nothing. They all look good.
    I've never wormed them- I have 3, and they are all 10 months old. We live in AZ, I didn't think worms were much of a problem here since it is very dry most of the year. Several of my friends in the area do not worm their flock either. I'm not opposed to it though...

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  7. UrbanPHXChicks

Apr 3, 2013
    I started Corid at 3 PM yesterday for all 3. I know I need to give it time to work, but she seems worse this morning. More lethargic, lower appetite, and she's hiding a bit. Her droppings are pretty awful smelling, but not smelling yeasty. Diarrhea, white/yellowish with some green, but no signs of blood. Her vent looks more pale.

Do you think I'm on the right track with Corid? I watched the video on Cocci and she doesn't look like the young pullets they portrayed. No listlessness, or trouble moving. No bloody stool.

Here's a little more info- I have 3 hens all about 10 months (grew up together), my white leghorn is very heathy- normal droppings good weight nice plumage, she is a feather picker though. My easter egger is thin, ALWAYS has very loose droppings. I thought initially that it was due to her over drinking during summer- they all did- but she continues. Easter egger seems to have poor eye sight too, always has
    . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have the liquid Corid you can give it orally, too - .2ml per 2.2 pounds.

FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by