Sick barred rock pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DPWPDX, Dec 11, 2016.

1. DPWPDX

DPWPDX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2016
    Hi!

I got a barred rock pullet (about 3 months old they said) from Craigslist. Well I got two but this one is the one I'm worried about. I've had her about a week. When I got her she had diarrhea and a very dirty vent area, and she was pretty dirty. A week later she's a little more cleaned up, her poo is starting to be normal (clumpy, no worms, not quite solid yet, doesn't seem to poop as often as my other hens), still has stained feathers but mostly behaves normally (eats, drinks, preens).

But, she's just a little less energetic than her mate, and also after eating tends to go hand out in a corner and fall asleep. She keeps her tail at about horizontal - not up and perky, or down. I've moved her inside in the "hospital room" tonight by herself so she hopefully doesn't contaminate any other of the other chickens (they're in a quarantine space but there are chickens about 15 feet away on the other side of the shed).

When I read through the BYC threads, they also mention comb color, which in this case is kind of a pale pink (think pink lemonade but paler) color. Is this something I should worry about or is that normal for this age pullet?

Since they're just about 12 weeks old, are baby chickens also less active than adult hens? (I would guess so since they're still growing)? I just don't remember from the other hens that I had how active they were.

I've given them bits of yogurt and pumpkin the last couple days and put a little vinegar in the water in the hopes that would help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A 3 month pullet would normally have a pale comb until just before she starts to lay usually around 5-6 months old. Check her skin all over for tiny bugs that could be mites or lice, especially around her vent. Feel of her crop in the morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight, and that it fills up during the day when she eats and drinks. Offer her some chopped egg along with a little plain yogurt plus her usual 18-20% protein grower feed. Coccidiosis can be a problem when moving to new soil, and the symptoms are hunched or puffed up appearance, not eating, sleepiness, and diarrhea with mucus or blood. Treatment is Corid or amprollium in the water for 5 days. Most vets can check some fresh droppings for cocci and worms.

1 person likes this.
  3. DPWPDX

DPWPDX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks! No lice or mites that I could see (I've been observing them both for a few days to be sure). she eats, crop empties overnight, .. I'll keep observing. One question is why her tail would be droopy if everything else is fine?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by