Sick Barred Rock, what medicine would be best?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LexsPeeps, Apr 3, 2017.

1. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Trooper, our Barred Rock has fallen ill. She sneezes, is pale, has lost weight and doesn't move very fast if much at all and has a dirty vent. She will associate with the flock but we also notice her standing by herself with her eyes closed. We don't have a vet to call unfortunately. What medicine from Tractor Supply or a similar place we could pick some up ASAP?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? What do you feed her? Does she lay eggs? In the picture her crop looks big. I would feel of it in the early morning to see if it is empty, full, firm or puffy. The sneezing may be from a virus such as infectious bronchitis, but can also be from dust in feed or the coop bedding, mold, or an environmental issue. Unless she is having a lot of nasal drainage, chest rattles, or foam in her eyes, I would not give her antibiotics. Tylan 50 injectable used orally is the one to use for respiratory diseases. Dosage is 1 ml twice a day for 5 days. Her dirty vent could be from diarrhea with her respiratory problem, worms, or other problems, such as coccidiosis. You try treating her with Corid for cocci, or worming her with SafeGuard or Panacur horse paste 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 3-5 days. A fecal test done on her droppings could rule those out if your regular animal vet would run it. I would give her probiotics, and they are contained in plain yogurt if you give her a tsp twice a week in her food. Give it everyday if you give her the antibiotic. Chopped egg or canned tuna are good in small amounts as a treat. in older hens sometimes they lose weight and feel poorly due to internal laying problems or egg yolk peritonitis. Here is some reading about that:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

3. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    We just got her about a month ago and the lady told us they were 5 1/2 months. She hasn't started laying yet though. We feed a mix of cracked corn and crumble, with mill worms and wild birds seed mix as treats. I noticed her puffy neck a day or 2 ago but when I felt of it it felt normal, I will check again though to be sure. We just picked up some Tylan 50, hopefully that will help. I will update this as new information arises,thanks a lot for the helpful information.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feel her neck before she eats in the early morning when it should be mostly empty. Chickens will take cracked corn over other food, and it is only half the protein they need. I would make her crumble at least 90% of her food. Try putting some water into a small bowl of feed to make it soupy.

5. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    She has slacked off on her appetite, so that's a good idea to maybe get her to eat. I didn't think they would touch soupy crumble. She did eat a little today though, with some millworms.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mine love when I add a lot of water, a little plain yogurt, to their normal feed.

7. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    I will certainly give the yogurt a shot! We gave her and the flock a dose of the Tylan 50 last night, I also checked her crop this morning and it felt normal, her color has improved slightly. She's is not as pale as she was and she ate some. We also have 2 turkeys, is Tylan 50 safe for them, what would the dosage be? They are young toms, not sure the age though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by