Sick barred rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trose4i, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Trose4i

Trose4i In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    I have a 1year old batted rock hen. Showed no signs until today of illness. Her poop is pure water she seems very skinny and appears to be hot to the touch but we are suffering with a heat wave right now. I've brought her inside to administer probiotics and electrolytes. I have been treating my flock for ccccidiosis. Help...we just love Beatrice she is a great bird.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    It could be the heat. How is she laying? How does her crop feel? Can you post some pictures, please?

3. Trose4i

Trose4i In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    Her back is bare because of the rooster who is no longer with us, we couldn't watch our girls go through that anymore. We had twenty girls and 1 rooster but he chose 3 or 4 girls. She seems so thin.

Attached Files:

4. Trose4i

Trose4i In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    [So after looking up what the crop is I would say hers is enlarged because I thought she had a lump there.
    QUOTE="RhodeIslandRed5, post: 21584888, member: 542156"]It could be the heat. How is she laying? How does her crop feel? Can you post some pictures, please?[/QUOTE]

5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Aww, poor girl. Try seeing if she'll eat some scrambled or boiled egg bits or tuna, or oregano.

6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    So her crop feels firm or squishy? Is she not laying?

7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    By the way, welcome to BYC. :welcome

8. Trose4i

Trose4i In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    I only felt it briefly but it seemed squishy. I will check tomorrow. I looked up how to clean a crop so if that appears to be the problem I will be attempting it. I do not know if she is laying because we have so many. I will guess not because I collected 8 and there are 11 laying in that house. She looks comfortable right now has access to electrolytes/probiotics in water. Tomorrow I will try giving her some canned cat food before I go to work.

9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Yes, let us know if her crop empties in the morning.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she this morning?
    Was her crop empty?

You mention you have been treating your flock for Coccidiosis? Do you have new chickens or chicks? What symptoms have you been seeing to make you treat for Coccidiosis?
    A mature hen that has been on your property for a good while should be resistant to the Coccidia found in her environment unless she is ill/sick from something else that weakens her system.

I would feel the abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid. Feel inside the vent for an egg and look her over for lice/mites.

You also mention looking up how to clean a crop(?) what does that mean? If she has crop issues, then I would not vomit her unless that is the last resort. Take some time to determine what type of crop problem she has and work on treat it. Here's a couple of very good articles to get you started.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

micstrachan and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: