Sick batch of chicks??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickFlick123, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ChickFlick123

ChickFlick123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Hi, last night I noticed several spots of both pink blood and bright red blood in my brooder that appeared chicks are pooping blood. I picked up each chick and looked them over, none appeared injured and none had signs of blood on their butts or anything so I couldn't really tell anything. This morning several of them have their feathers all fluffed up and the one I did see poop pooped a pink liquid. I gave them probiotic water last night as it was all I had for options. They are approximately 4-5 weeks old and have been healthy to this point. They are on medicated grower and have been for the whole time. What do I do? What's wrong with them?

2. Tenrec

Tenrec Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2017
    They can still get coccidia on medicated feed, unfortunately.

Get some sulfa for them, Albon or trimet. It can be hard on them, but if it's coccidia, that's what you need stat. Make sure there's no poop in their water.

Do keep us updated!

edit: Also, I know you probably will since you're already using them, but if you do go for the sulfa instead of other treatments, make sure they're getting probiotic. It can be pretty rough on their guts.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

I agree with @Tenrec it sounds like they have Coccidiosis.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find Corid (amprolium) more easily than you can find Albon or Trimet. Corid will also treat more strains of Cocci as well.

Whichever treatment you can find, they need it ASAP.

Corid is generally mild and considered safe to use. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Let us know how they are doing.

4. ChickFlick123

ChickFlick123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks! I got some corid and got that started and am working on cleaning out their brooder now so they are starting with fresh bedding etc. Hope this works!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by