Sick BCM cockrel.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by martinnoah, Aug 21, 2013.

1. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Hi, I have a 5 month old BCM cockrel. He has a swollen closed eye. I gave him some eye drops and he opened it a bit, but it is still swollen. He also has gravely breathing and yellow mucus around his beck and the roof of his mouth. I have him away from the rest of the coop too.

If anyone knows anyway to help him, do tell.

Thank-you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He probably has a respiratory disease. Most of them are chronic, meaning that he can be come sick again and again after it gets better. Many people choose to cull their sick birds before exposing other birds to it, and some choose to treat with antibiotics. Treatment would be an antibiotic such as Tylan, Duramycin-10, Terramycin, and others. Tylan-50 (1/2-1 ml.)can be given as a shot for 3 days in the breast muscle or 1/2-1 ml. by mouth for 5 days. He should be separated from the other chickens. Here is some information on the various viruses and bacterial infections, just click here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. martinnoah

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Thank-you, I am probably going to leave him seperate from the other birds and give him cider vinager in his water. Hoping for the best, because we have lots of other roos.

4. martinnoah

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    The respiratory disease has spread to most of my flock. Does anyone know any home remedies for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by