1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Bird/Birds. lost 5 so far.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Framac, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    My coop is split into two sections (older birds now 18 weeks.) younger birds now 12 weeks.

1)About 2 months ago I lost one. 10 weeks old. No really symptoms, a little week one day, dead the next.

2)Fast forward a month. Found a 8 week old dead. I little small, in with 10 other birds. no symptoms.

3)2 weeks forwards, One bird looks week. I feed it, give it electrolytes, keeps getting weaker and weaker, until I put in down after 4 days. i would find it laying on it's side swimming with it's back legs, opening it's mouth like it was hot out (not hot)

4)At the same time, the bottom rooster in the older chicken pen is dead one morning I go in.not weak, small(as he always was) but not skin and bones, muscle on him.

5)I go on vacation, and the woman looking after my birds had one show the same symptoms. Weak, she would feed it 3 times daily, full crop, lots of water, by itself (She is an animal re-habber) and it continued to get weaker. Same Symptoms as Number 3. she gave it antibiotics and electrolytes to no avail. I had to put it down on my return from Vaca.

When I say no symptoms, I mean I noticed nothing. I go into my pens and examine my chickens daily for 10-15 minutes. I have not noticed any blood, nor did the neighbor. New chicken house, only chickens.

Any ideas are very welcome.

Christopher

2. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I'm not sure how much help I will be, but here's my impression:
    The one that died with no symptoms may have had symptoms but the time between the onset of the illness and death may have been so short that you did not see it.
    You don't mention if you've had your flock inspected. If not, then maybe you should have it done. If you have had inspections and are NPIP, then I would suggest taking it to the Farm Extension or whoever in your area works with livestock and have them do testing. I wouldn't bring any new birds into the flock until you can determine that it is not a contagious disease. Hence the suggestion to have the inspector come out- they do it for free, and they might even be able to tell you what's going on.

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    That is not good. Have you notice any runny/bloody poop? Paleness in any chicken's wattles/comb?

4. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    No Bloddy poop, but yes to pale.

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know, but try not to panic yet. I have had a few drop dead in the past too without symptoms, making me wonder if it was a poisonous plant or something. We have tons of native milkweed and other things, so unless you see symptoms I don't think I would worry much. Young birds die more often than grown birds, so once they get to 5 months on all of them, then let us know if the losses continue.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you pick them up and visually inspect them closely for lice/mites, especially around the vent area and at the base of their tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by