Sick bird need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smw18, Mar 1, 2012.

1. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    I have a Cochin and is sick. Her nose is seeping clear liquid. She has sneezed 5 times in the last 15 -20 min. She keeps her beak slightly opened. None of the others have this problem. I did have one pass away last night for reasons of which I don't know. She was placed on antibiotics this morning

2. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I lost a lot of chickens when trying to fix them. I read so much and got even more confused. I talked with a chicken farm. And what he told me fixed every chicken I had in 2-3 days.

Get a bottle of VetRX. Put one drop in each nostril. 2 drops in there mouth and 5 drops in the water. Rub the VetRX all around the nostril after placing the drops there. Then give it 1cc Tylan 50 shot in the breast. (I tried the 1/2 cc for 3-5 days and my chickens never lived.)

Then everyday after just do the VetRX. In 2-3 days it will be back to normal.I also keep the sick ones in a big dog kennel i have. The metal portable ones. Just easier to get to and treat.

3. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    I have Lori away from the others right now and the vet gave me albon suspension. Hopefully that will work,udo would it hurt to do the vetRX and theTylan at the same time with the albon?

4. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    I had a similar issue. I got some tetracycline from the feed store and along with the VetRx gave her the treatment. I also placed her in one of the portable dog runs with fresh hay and a heat lamp and covered her for privacy. She looked as though she would die; laying on her side, running nose, and lethargic. After a few days of hand feeding and hand watering, she came back to life and could enter the flock. I also treated the others with the tetracycline in the water and then the VetRx.

Good luck!

5. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Friend of mine is coming to pick hers up and she is bringing me what both of you have suggested. Hopefully all that tag teamed with what the vet gave me, Lori will come back to us
    EDIT
    I have her on albon from the vet, my friend is bringing the stuff you guys suggested over, she is on some probiotics, and a pack that is terra-vet 10. Suppose to help with respitory virus

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Just gave her, her first dose of vetRX and found out that I have been giving her the tetracycline. She is still sluggish in the box and breathes heavy when I pick her up and put her back, but she puts up one heck of a fight when it came to the drops in the mouth
    EDIT
    She finally ate something!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Lori is going a lot better! I had fallen asleep for a few hours and woke to her eating a drinking with out me having to point/push her to where it was. Last night scared me because she seemed to just stand there zoning out. Not
    Even showing any signs she could hear me, normally when I call her name she either looks up at me or shakes her head. She had looked up at me when I called her name, and when I did it again she shook her head. She is doing so much better bu just I case I am going to keep her on everything for a day or so more

8. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Just keep giving her the VetRX. You will know when she is ready to join the others. She will start scratching a lot again.

The last sick one I had the second morning her eye was still swallen shut, Still couldn't breathe, snot coming out of her nose, I left and came back that afternoon and she was just fine. That quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by