Sick Bird: Possibly Worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dean W, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Hello,

I am writing because I have a sick hen. My flock is free ranging and I noticed today one was missing. When I went to the door of our house there she was just sitting there lethargic. So I moved her back to the coop. I noticed she is lighter than the other birds. And her feathers are less lustrous than the others as well.

I don't see any excessive signs of mites and there is no bare bottom so I don't believe it's that. However, I'm beginning to wonder about the possibility of worms. From what I've read here on the forum is to use either Wazine or Valbazen. But I'm still a little confused on what to purchase. In edition she has a colored patch on her leg which I was concerned about before. I did post on it, but received few responses. Could that be leg mites/ scale mites?

The link I've attached shows a pic, but it is not her feet.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740676/unusal-color-on-legs#post_10373263

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Separate her from the others asap. You could try getting her to eat some cooked egg, mashed up and mixed with a little sugar water, add some plain regular yogurt if, you have some? What does her poop look like? Worming her might help her but you need to get some food into her first. Good Luck.

3. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Okay, I can go out and move her in a few. Her poop was white or gray when she was by the door.

4. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Thats good. I would use valbazine wormer 1/2 cc for LF, 1/4 cc for small birds. A tube will last a long time so, don't let the price stop you. It will need to be repeated in 10 days. If her problem is worms ? She should start acting better in a couple days after she is wormed. Good Luck.

5. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Great thanks for your help.

6. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    She was dead this morning. So I'm going to worm the others.

7. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thanks...

9. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thanks! I wasn't terribly attached to this one. I did miss two of my younger ones that died due to a predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by