Sick bird that smells very bad. dont think its impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msgm1313, Sep 13, 2011.

1. msgm1313

msgm1313 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I have a RIR that is 5 months old. she has been going down hill for about a week. she has clear discharge from nose and smells really bad. she is eating and drinking some, and Ive been giving her subcu fluids. any suggestions? also she has been snortaling and grunting a bit. Please Help!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Sounds like Coryza. Click on the link in my sig and read about it.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That sounds like infectious Coryza. It's a virus, and your RIR will always carry it and can spread it to other birds, even if she gets better. If you can't or don't believe in culling birds to keep the disease from spreading through your flock, then use Tylan in her drinking water. Put it down her beak with a dropper if necessary at first.

Good luck!
    Sharon

5. msgm1313

msgm1313 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Can this be treated with terramycin. Also she has lost a lot of weight what should I be feeding her while she is isolated from the flock.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:That wouldn't be strong enough. Tylan is a bit pricey, but it's very strong and will work well, while Sulmet is strong too, but harsh on a chicken's system. A good thing to feed her would be some hard boiled egg yolk, also putting some vitamins and electrolites in the drinking water will give her a boost.

There's some stuff called Vet Rx, that you can give her right down the throat that will help, but you still need the Tylan.

7. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Infectious coryza is actually a bacterial infection, that for whatever reason will linger dormant in your chicken's system. Active duration of the infection is about two weeks. Like someone else said, Terramycin isn't a very powerful antibiotic and you'd be better just ordering the Tylan as it sounds like your hen's infection is very serious.

If you haven't already, quarantine her from the rest of your birds. As I understand it, it's possible for this to spread to your flock from wild birds, but if you've introduced any new chickens lately you might want to check them for symptoms. Your bird will be a carrier for life, and it's an airborne pathogen (while they are coughing) and also spreads through contaminated clothing and food and water sources. So scrub everything down and change clothes when you deal with the rest of your flock.

Here's another link to add to everyone else's with some good info: IC. Good luck, I'm sorry this happened to your birds. [​IMG]

If you decide to cull, you'd need to keep other chickens out of the area where she was kept for 30-60 days to ensure recontamination doesn't occur, from what I'm reading.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. msgm1313

msgm1313 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Thank You all for the advice. I now seems that I now have a much larger problem on my hands. This bird has been in contact with the rest of the flock. We have been trying to build up our flock with hens after all but one of the eggs we hatched turned out to be roos. We live in the city where we are not permitted to keep roos. So we traded them for a few hens plus I bought a hen from Craigs list. I'm not sure which one was the original carrier. They all looked healthy when we got them. As it would be the only one who shows any signs of illness is the hen that we have had from hatching. So now I must put together a plan. Do I treat just the hen showing signs or the whole flock? Should I continue to isolate the sick hen and for how long? Do I cull the whole flock (eek) and start again in the spring? The dilemmas of an Urban Farmer......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by