1. Bennett Farms

Bennett Farms Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Texas
    I have a big beautiful Orph that is sick. Im not sure whats going on with her.

Symptoms:
    She isnt walking around. She just lays in one spot. She doesnt act like anything hurts when I feel in her legs and toes. Her wings flap. There is no outward appearance of any trauma.

Ive removed her from the flock. I gave her a shallow bowl of water and food. She cant reach the feeder in coop since she wont stand.

She hasnt started laying yet. Her comb and waddles are red in color.

Her vent isnt swollen or pertruding but it is pulsing for a lack of better description.

Any advise on what might be going on? Or what else i need to look for worh my chick. She is about 8 months old.

The only change recently is that the rooster has taken a shine to her. Could he have hurt her. She is way bigger than him though. He is a Phoenix and she weighs bout 12lbs. Shes a large Orph.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What happens when you pick her up and set her down on her legs? Can she move them? Is she sitting in a neat box or our in the coop? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? She indeed could be hurt by the rooster, or from jumping and injuring a leg or hip. Mareks can cause lameness in one or both legs, other things can also do that, such as botulism, eating feed with mold, and being dehydrated. Since her comb is red, I would check inside her vent with a finger an inch or two, to see if you can feel a stuck egg. Another possibility is that she could be broody if she is sitting in a nest box. There can be a lot of possible explanations for her behavior. Make sure that she is eating and drinking.

3. Bennett Farms

Bennett Farms Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Texas
    Eggcessive she was just laying in floor of coop. I tried standing her but its like her legs dont go down.

How do they get botulism? How do you treat that? She was vaccinated.

She hasnt started laying yet. Do they get broody when not laying?

I checked to see if she is egg bound. It doesnt appear she is.

Their feed is fresh. I just bought it and they go thru it pretty quick. They free range everyday for about an hour or two. She was ok just two days ago. She wasnt on the roost last night but on the floor of coop. She stayed in the same spot today.
    I have removed her to her own space. She has water and food where she can reach it. Its in shallow dishes since she cant stand. I also am giving her water with a syringe to make sure she is hydrated.

How do I know if its Mareks or botulism or something else. Is it just a waiting game? Im very upset and feel bad for Brianne. Also I feel helpless since im note sure what to do.

Thanks for reply.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may take some time to figure out what is going on, but I would suspect a possible injury. Botulism is progressive paralysis of the legs, then wings, neck and breathing muscles causing death in just hours. It comes from eating a toxin in decaying animal or vegetable matter, or maggots from those. I doubt is it is that if she is still just not using her legs. Mareks is possible even with the vaccine, but I would let her rest and try to heal, in case she is injured. As long as she is eating and drinking well, and taking vitamins, that is good. There are many examples of homemade chicken slings or chairs to help get them upright to help keep them cleaner.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by