Sick bird?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fluffychicky, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    [​IMG]

Here is napoleon as you can see his comb and wattles have shriveled (first picture was taken 2 weeks ago the second picture was taken tonight). He has no discharge and no lice or mites (he was just dusted and thoroughly checked) and I haven't noticed any odd poops. He acts just fine, steals every bit of food he can, raises his hackles every now and then and runs a lot. I have noticed in the past week and a half he hasn't crowed (that I have noticed) and his comb has three very small scabs on them but they look like peck marks and he did recently get in a tussle with my other rooster. None of my other chickens are exhibiting any strange behaviors. I'm very worried about him, because I just don't understand what is wrong. He is growing in his adult feathers so maybe that is taking a toll? I really don't want this to be anything serious I love my babies and I work so hard to keep them in good health. Can someone help me?

I just have no idea what's wrong and I'm pretty desperate to find out.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    A pale, limp comb can be sign of worms especially if no other real symptoms present. (If it were a hen, I would say hormonal changes as well...which might be true in your young roo...but I don't keep roo's so I can't say for certain.)

You don't need to see worms in the stool for the bird to have an overload of worms. Most birds have them; the goal is to keep them in check...ie the load down so that they are not effecting the bird.

A good wormer and booster is Rooster Booster Triple Action Multi Wormer. You can get it at the feed store or here (a bit cheaper):
    http://www.abetterchicken.com/product/50101

It's not cheap (the 1.25 lb container lasted my hens 1 week and cost $30 at the feed store).

It contains vitamins, de-wormer (Hygromycin B) and a mild anti-biotic (Bacitracin). The formula is given continuous feed in commercial layers for worms and to keep down CRD, but many small growers use it for one week, once a month...I've chosen to use it quarterly with herbal methods in between.

I've used it on my hens to help de-worm (it's the only FDA/USDA sanctioned wormer for layers) and for one hen that has mild CRD. I've seen improvement in laying after I used it.

Could be something else...but often worms can make them pale and slightly lethargic.

HTH
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I bought some dewormer (the safeguard kind) and put it in all their waterers, how quickly should i see improvement if it is worms?

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Usually you'll see improvement within the week (if it is worms), sometimes sooner. Sometimes if there is a heavy load, you won't see improvement until after a 2nd dose.

Read your label instructions for dosing chickens. Some wormers are 3 consecutive days for a full treatment, others are one dose then 10 days later another dose.

Since you mentioned you gave it to all your hens, I'm sure you are aware that tossing and destroying eggs for 14 days after the last dose is generally recommended.

Safeguard is an off label use for laying hens in the U.S., so technically it is not approved for laying hens (which may, or may not depending upon your viewpoint, complicate matters if you ever intend to sell eggs from those chickens).

Lady of McCamley

5. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Well they aren't laying yet and probably won't be until the end of september, and I understand it's not really for chickens but whatever makes them better right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by