Sick bird

LaylaFlora

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
My almost 3 year old Australorp, "Blackie", is suffering. She does feel lighter around the breast than usual.

Her lower abdomen is filled with fluid. It feels squishy- not like a tight water balloon. Does not feel egg bound.

She is lethargic, standing with ruffled feathers and closed eyes.

She has exhibited the symptoms above for 2 days now. There are no other birds exhibiting symptoms.

There is no bleeding or other signs of trauma. Her vent looks normal.

I started feeding the flock fermented feed about 2 weeks ago.

I noticed she was "off" yesterday morning when she didn't eat anything. She has not eaten or drank anything since I began monitoring her. Her crop is completely empty and she hasn't pooped at all.

So far, I have her isolated in a dog crate in the house as comfortable as I can get her.

I am considering draining the fluid myself with a syringe and administering an antibiotic.
I am willing to cull to end suffering.

Bumping for help!

I put her in a warm water bath to help soften her vent. I think she's egg bound??? Not sure. Dont want to drain the fluid if she's egg bound. Waiting and seeing....

I know @casportpony drains fluid but I can't remember what causes it... And I think someone else really knows egg peritonitis ( maybe that's a possible cause ) and @Eggcessive is just a wealth of knowledge too... Maybe they know what's happening...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The website was helpful. Pretty much said she's going to die unless she lays an egg if she's egg bound, or if I drain the fluid if it's ascites or a cyst. Problem is, I don't know what she has. I've been reading forums and have heard countless times how the vet just guesses, doesn't help, and costs a fortune.

I gave her asprin and a blanket to nest in in the crate. She's in my bedroom where it is dark, quiet and cozy. She doesn't seem to be suffering terribly so I'm going to let her ride it out I guess. I've had chickens for a decade and have never had to put one down because of illness, nor have I taken any to the vet. My dh did have to put one down after a raccoon attack once
hit.gif

Treat for the egg binding with calcium ( can't hurt ) and attempt to drain her ( carefully ) There is nothing wrong with taking her life if she is not going to make it... If she is not in agony there is nothing wrong with letting her go on her own... :hugs

I gave her calcium citrate and an hour later she POOPED!!!!

It was really smelly and dark but not sticky like cecal poop - more gritty but flat. A good amount of water came with it.

I think this is a good sign! I am praying that she will have laid an egg by morning

The fluid in her belly probably does need to be drained. Can you take her to a vet? Prognosis for hens like this is poor. One can drain the fluids, but it will return eventually. Causes that I have seen are cancers, heart defects and repro issues.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom