Sick birds at county fair!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TOP KNOT, Sep 8, 2013.

1. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    My mom and I went to the fair, we always stop to see all of the animals. I could not believe my eyes!!! One chicken had a puffed up eye that had puss oozing out of it! All of the chickens from this one specific town entry had what I thought was pox!!! They had at least a dozen chickens that had snotty noses and blisters on their combs, face wattles, and vent area!!! I could not believe they would bring them to the fair like that to infect all of the other birds!!! Why would the fair let them enter them that way?? I told my mom NOT to touch ANYTHING!!! When I came home I carried my shoes in and put them and my cloths directly into the washer!!! I took a shower!! I may sound crazy, but I will take no chances of disease if I can help it!!!! Could I have confused this with something else?? I am pretty convinced the birds were not well.

2. ChickenRaiser95

ChickenRaiser95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    The fair shouldn't allow anything like that to enter, most fairs wont let birds in even if they just have mites.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, those birds sound sick! I'd say that they have a respiratory disease and possibly Fowl Pox. Both diseases are contagious, and birds like that should certainly not be allowed to enter. When they are judged, all of those diseased birds should be disqualifed.

4. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    How does anyone else take their birds home?? I was very disappointed to see the lack of responsibility.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should talk to whoever is in charge, and maybe your county extension agent. The pus from eyes and the snotty noses are particularly distressing as they indicate probable viral respiratory disease, which is highly contagious and not curable.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If they looked like any of these then it was probably pox:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/lightbox/

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  8. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    There were not as many scab/blisters as your pics but it could have been early. All I know is they should not have been there!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    True, and they should have known better!

-Kathy

10. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I looked up the town listed on their entry. They drove a long way to be at that fair! The Dekab county fair also known as the Sandwich fair is the largest in Illinois to my knowledge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by