Sick birds, I'm sick of it, need best meds. HELP!

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I used Corid for 2 weeks, wanted to use it all and not just hold onto it. Original two, 1 died soon into treatment. Other is still alive and active. Then it's healthy sister suddenly got weak one night, was dead in the AM. 1st dead bird was very active but sick, then suddenly dead. The live sister was weak, treatment made her more active, no worse than before. Young birds and older chicks puff, get thin at some point, not sure. I treated all ages, inside and out. First 7 days the regular dose, next at double strength, no ill effects of that what so ever. I don't think it really did anything. Going to worm everyone today. I have Sumlet, but it says wait a month after the Corid and they won't live that long, so idk if I should wait a few days and just go for it or what.
No poo issues, none are vaccinated, not from hatcheries. There has been a sneeze or two on some, no discharge anywhere on any of them. I can't seem to find Duramycin-10 anywhere, I bought it last fall, but the same stores no longer seem to have it..what?
They either drop suddenly or an added symptom of one leg weak, then unusable. If the 'leg isn't working right' symptom shows, these birds seem to survive longer than the rest. They are on a solid ground, dirt pen access until noon, then out in the grass free until night fall.
I found several other drugs and am wondering if any of those will help. I'm very sick of watching them all die.
Denagard Liquid Concentrate, Lincomycin, lots of others out there. No idea what to try next. Stopping egg collection is fine, I just can't poison them for them to be worthless after the 2week with drawl. So w/e I use must allow for re-use of the eggs 14 days later.

I'm also wanting to vaccinate all my birds for a few things, but there will be a lot of excess left over. Wondering if someone else with a large flock would want to split the vials with me. I know you can vac at any age, day old is not the only time.

The first thing to do is to figure out what your chicks are dying from. Corid is for Cocci, but this doesn't sound like Cocci. I'm hoping someone with more experience with these symptoms will pop on and offer some advice.

In the meantime, can you describe their living conditions, and what you're feeding them?
hugs.gif

Not much to add, concrete floor, scraped out weekly. They have a 13x13 or so totally enclosed run, dirt floor, access to it 24/7. I let them out most of the week at noon to free range, days off work they have access from sunrise to sunset.
Fed TSC yellow bag layer crumbles, some days I get Layena[sp?], scratch every other day or so. Eggs every now and then too. Been also adding vitamins in their water, 4 1gal new water every day. small pool in the run cleaned every 3 days or so, they don't foul it. 2.5x3.5ft window, 1x3.4ft window, human door way open, oscillating fan on max running 24/7 to keep air moving.

I'm finding the symptoms for Cocci and marek's is either the same or over lapping symptoms, heck to figure it out.

Last edited:
Cocci usually leads to blood in the poo, and the birds become lethargic and just sit there puffed up like they're cold. The lack of blood in the poo, with the leg, sounds like Mareks, but I'm not familiar with it.

Yea, but I read that sometimes there is no blood and there may be weak legs or dropped wings. The younger and sometimes ones that go suddenly, are puffed and just sit. It's like a mix of both or something....

No one? I guess I will start the Sulmet tomorrow...
The one hen w/the bad leg is still doing well, she may be gaining weight, too. I've started to crate her for the night and morning and let her out with the others later in the day. I noticed that if I isolate a bird, they get worse fast! So I'm limiting how long she is all alone so it won't stress her and she and still hang out with her sister.

Back
Top Bottom