Sick Birds - What to do!!???!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heath_elisha, Jan 22, 2015.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I had a hen come down with a horrible gurgling sound two days ago. Strange cough like sounds too. She is a Blue Copper Maran that is 2.5yrs old. No other symptoms. I confined her to a crate in the basement. Treating her with Tylan 50 twice a day at a dose of .5ml.

This morning I went out to the coop and found a hen with foam coming out both eyes (the blue copper's sister) another slightly(2 months) older blue copper hen with one side of her face around her eye swollen. One bird other older hen sneezing but no other symptoms.

The few months have been a doooozy. I had my favorite hen pass unexpectedly with minimal signs of something wrong before she died (late fall) I had a broody hen out while she was hatching chicks then put back in. Then two months ago my old rooster passed unexpectedly - no real signs except possible seizures. He was in with one other hen who received injuries during that horrible day he died. She was crated until her injuries healed. When she was out I had another hen with a broken toe! So they were on rest....and put back in when I had a 5 hens given to me, I re-homed two immediately, and two hens just two weeks ago found a new home. In addition to the 5 gifted hens, she gave me 7 chicks which were added to my two chicks that we hatched. (They are in a different coop on the other side of the yard) Then this past week I brought home two hens from the poultry congress. Added them into the big coop - NOW I have sick birds. No idea who brought it in. No people come in contact with my birds - just the birds I brought in. I never where my street clothes (aka farm store clothes) back to the flock. I am completely and utterly sick to my stomach thinking the worst of what will come of this whole fiasco.

So- as of right now- I have a hen on tylan 50 in the basement. The big coop flock is being treated with Duramycin-10 in their water. What else can I do? Do I treat the chicks? They are almost 9 and 13 weeks old. What do we have????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like it could be mycoplasma (MG) but I would recommend getting it tested. Do not add more chickens, and since the ones you have may be carriers for life, then don't re-home any. Any new chickens added from outside a flock should always be quarantined from the flock for 30 or more days in case they are carrying a disease from the previous home. Some people don't seem to mind giving away or selling chickens who may be carriers. I would only treat the ones showing symptoms with the Tylan, or cull them. A necropsy can be performed if you lose one, and then you could get an answer from your state vet on what disease it is. Sorry about your illness. Some people chose to cull all birds, clean, wait several weeks, and then start over with new healthy birds. Here is a link about diseases, and one for state vets and testing labs:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oh how terrible for you and your birds. It certainly sounds like a bad strain of upper respiratory disease in your flock. As eggcessive has said , it is imperative that you operate a ' closed flock '.
    No birds in and no birds out. Whilst the antibiotics will treat the symptoms, it is likely that you will see relapses.

4. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have generally had a closed flock for years. I had learned that we could have more where we live and decided to add a couple few, hatch a couple, etc. But this is the result. I figured it was either Coryza or MG. You suggested only treating the ones that look sick - but would you seperate them? I have limited options for that and as of last night only one (in the basement) had any symptoms. Also, since I started them all with the Duramycin 10 this am, can I switch to Tylan 50 without any bad problems???? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    FYes I would separate the sick ones so you can treat only them, and hopefully prevent the spread. Tylan would be fine to switch to, but you could also wait for 3 days to see if the Duramycin was helping.

6. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    I would agree

7. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I have another hen making the rattling sound. And I think another one just starting to get stuffy in the coop. Tylan for all those who are seperated, my vet doesnt seem willing to make a house call to my area. No suggestions over the phone. The very first hen that started all this seems to be getting worse. Closing her eyes, less energy since last night. This is completely heart breaking.......

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is just a terrible thing to happen when you have had healthy birds in the past. MG and coryza are only alive in the environment for a couple of days, meaning if you choose to cull, the disease will be gone quickly with the birds. If one bird is left, then it will continue to spread the disease. Many who chose to keep their birds and treat when they get sick, will use Denagard to fight MG, both to treat and to use a one a month preventative dose. It tastes very bad, so it's not easy to get birds to drink it. There are several threads about this product, which usually has to be bought online. It would be good to get one tested though, to make sure of the exact disease. Sometimes there can be several diseases at the same time, since the major diseases can all become secondary infections. One can have infectious bronchitis, and then get MG or coryza, or even E.coli as as secondary infection. Denagard is mainly for MG. The links in post 2 will give disease details, testing, and necropsy info. Here is a whole page of threads about Denagard to research: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=denagard

9. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    All my birds recovered from whatever they had. So happy for that! !! Now that I have had them under my radar, in the crates, based off poop I think they are due for worming. Is it safe after antibiotics? We are chucking eggs so I figured now would be a good time. Thoughts? Brands to use? I have used wazine once, years ago but had a pullet die weeks after. I have been afraid since. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Nice to hear that your birds are feeling a little better. The wazine only treats round worm so you would be better to administer valbazen or safeguard.
    @dawg53. Is the best person to give you advice on dosage. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by