sick birds?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ODEY587, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    I am new to peafowl I just got to six month olds there acting fine eating good and poop looks normal but there making like a coughing sound sometimes is this normal? If not what should I treat them with? THANKS Josh

2. ODEY587

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone???

3. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

They may have an upper respiratory infection and or gapeworm.

Crack a pumpkin in half and use it as a feeder. Only put wildbird seed and dog food in the pumpkin halves. Stop feeding soft feed ( crumbles, soft pellets, mash).
    Sprinkle table spoon of diatomaceous earth per bird into some canned cranberry sauce with whole fruit- and provide this each evening for four days.

If the coughing continues write back. I don't suggest worming or providing antibiotics unless you actually know what is wrong with the bird.
    A big mistake many people make is medicating birds with no real knowledge of what they're dealing with. This ends up creating antibiotic resistant strains of bacterium and viruses. Worming is also rough on the systems of your birds. It's a short term and necessary thing to do in your husbandry but you must have a real plan of action.

In the short term, get yourself extremely knowledgeable with the sinus cavity of the fowl .

In the eventuality that you may have to treat for an upper respiratory infection you'll have to be confidant and knowledgeable with this region of the head. Treatment is actually quite easy if you follow directions exactly and are confident in your medical skills. It's not that intimidating if you have a steady hand and don't falter- have a steady helping hand as well.

Firstly, you need to boost the immune system of the bird. This is critical.

4. ODEY587

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks alot resolution i am thankful for your advise. i will get a pumpkin tomorrow and star the five day treatment, i will get back to you and let you know about how i make out do. Thanks Josh
    Quote:

5. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Josh,
    How are they housed? Have they been wormed at all?

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I was going to let Resolution ,with all of his knowledge, and searching . take over the peafowl section of this forum, as a few other were thinking i was trying to run this section.

Now i see the advice he is giving is not correct......thing like feed will cause birds to lay ,anytime ...now this , ok if you want to save these birds, first treat will tylan 200, then worm your birds.

My advise is what has worked for me ,and many other breeders. Raised bird for many years , what i post have been things i have learn over all those years, and what has worked.

All the info and pics i see being post lately, anyone can gather from a search of the internet.

Now telling someone to wait to treat sick birds is not right........many birds would be dead now if other had follow this advice...

Enjoy this forum.......but remember to listen to those that have been raising birds with good results , and will even post pics of what their birds they are caring for now look like.

As someone was so kind to point out, i don't write the best, now he was surely mistake about how well i read......

I will leave for now.......but be carefull were you get your info from.......lot of knowledge breeder of peafowl on this forum.

Lot have learn working with their own birds...LIKE YODA and treated and even operated on a bird....with great results i am glad to say.

or if you chose go with the super pumpkin, and super feed being push by other.......

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

Deerman I couldn't agree more. At the recent peafowl convention a feed expert from the University came in and talked about what goes into feed and how much research goes into what the requirements of birds are. Commercial feed makers spend lots of effort to make sure they achieve results. Without results, no sales....I think the rabbits in my pen for example are healthier than the ones in my back yard eating whatever nature provides. The medications are spot on. The Poultry vet from U of Missouri stated how well safeguard "fenbendazole" is tolerated and it is very hard (ridiculously hard) to overdose a bird on it. So worm the bird soon with a proven effective wormer. Tylan has been effective antibiotic for me also. Learned lots from you here on the forum. If the original poster wants to look off the forum, lots of info at www.hopkinslivestock.com website as well as the UPA website www.peafowl.org on meds for the birds.

8. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Ditto deerman & 6littlechickies
    One professional nutritionist spent years researching and formulating feed for peafowl. She spoke at the UPA convention 2 years ago and explained her processes, detailing what peafowl require and why. Her feed trials were included. She also said that sometimes nutritional requirements can vary by region, as climate affects both consumption and physical needs. Dr. Kelsey Swyers' report can be viewed on the UPA forum by UPA members. It's interesting that her research verified what longtime pea owners already knew from experience about required amounts of protein, grains and etc. for the healthiest and most productive birds.

There's no magic bullet for feed or medications, which is why I rely on experienced owners and avian veterinarians. The vet I work with agrees with 6littlechickies, in that it's darn near impossible to overdose an animal on Safeguard (fenbendazole) and the drug does not tax their systems. Other medications might need tighter controls for safety and efficiency, but experienced peafowl owners already knew this. If you can't get a fecal exam done quickly, I'd rather worm them than lose the bird. When I first started with peafowl, this happened to me and it's devastating. Good luck, and let us know how your birds fare.

9. ODEY587

Oct 22, 2011
    deer man is the tylan 200 given orAly/ if so how much also will tylan 50 work ? how long after should i wait to worm/ thanks josh. how is the safeguard given?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Deerman, i dont think you should take a break from this section at all, just because a new know it all happens to appear. I think the correcting your doing is great. But even i could see the kind of posting somebody has been doing....and some of it really doesnt make sense, almost as if trying to hard........ JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by