Sick black-bellied whistling duck **HELP!!**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IronEagle, Nov 12, 2015.

1. IronEagle

IronEagle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    QR, Mexico
    Hi Everyone,
    I have 5 black-bellied whistling ducks approximately 18 months old. One of them has started sneezing repeatedly in succession. 10 times in a row. I also noticed that it's (I have no idea if it is male or female) whistle has suddenly changed from exactly like the other 4 to a higher pitched and rough sounding whistle. This is new from today so I'm hoping if it is something bad I can catch it quick.

I live in an extremely remote location without access to a vet. BUT I do have a quite extensive med kit on hand.

I have available to me:
    3 sulfas injectable
    Oxytetracycline 50mg/ml injectable (this particular type can also be administered by mouth)
    Vita drench
    Probiotic drench
    Worming meds of 2 types, fenbendazole and pyromantel

And one last detail, I noticed 3 days ago that this duck had a slight limp. It's foot looks totally normal but it does try to wriggle away from me when I probe the upper leg. I don't know if this is in any way related.

I have come to this forum many times for help and am eternally grateful for the help I receive. Thank you in advance!

Iron Eagle

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    You may want to go to ornamental fowl as whistling ducks are considered ornamental they might know more there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. IronEagle

IronEagle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    QR, Mexico
    Thank you! I've posted over there. Hoping for a reply.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think @Eggcessive might have some links for you to read

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by