Sick Black Frizzle Bantam Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoanieMay, Jul 24, 2011.

1. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    My Bridgett has swollen pinkish wattles, pale kind of yellowish face. She does not seem to see well, and is buddying with one of our red frizzle hens. She is eating, and seems to be drinking. We have had a heatwave here in Maine, kind of unheard of for Maine, but this started before the big heat of the past 4 days. Our little flock have water and food available in several places whenever they want it, it is there. They tend to stay right around their house, have been in a thicket of small trees and brush behind their coop. Today it has cooled off some and the humidity has dropped, all of us feel better, but Bridgett still has the swollen pinkish wattles etc.. What can I do for her? I really do not want to loose her, she is a good little girl. Thanks for any help you can give me. JoanieMay.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    is her face swollen, like with a sinus infection? look up swollen wattles in the search for some insite

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
  4. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    I have an update on Bridgett my bantam frizzle. She does have sinusitis, her wattles, ears, (one more so than the other) above her eyes, around her beak, are swollen. I contacted our University of Maine Animal Health Laboratory and asked for help. I was told to give her Tetracycline which is given in water. By then Bridgett seemed to stop drinking, and is still not eating. There have been about no droppings in her cage. We have been giving her the Tetracycline with an eye dropper every so often, so she is getting some of it. My question is since I did find some Tylan 50 injectable late yesterday, should I give her that also or would that be too much for her? The swelling had gone down a very little, but I did see her take a tiny drink last evening, and put her beak into her layer crumbles, didn't see her eat any tho. She has lost some weight, and being a bantam, she is not big to begin with. Would I give her .25cc intramuscularly into the breast? I started her on the Tetracyclne Thursday evening. If someone could tell me if I should give her the shot or not, I would be most grateful. Thanks, Joan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by