Sick black sex link

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angie99, Jan 2, 2017.

1. angie99

angie99 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Our black sex link is about 2-3 years old. 3 days ago, I noticed she had not come out of the coop to eat like all the rest of our chickens did. She just lay there with her eyes closed and strangely nodded her head. I tried to get her to drink and eat, but she wouldn't do either. I told my parents and they said it was most likely old age being that she is the oldest of all our chickens. I looked online and saw some people saying that sex links typically have a shorter life span while others disagreed. We had a golden sex link who we got as a chick with this one that suddenly died (I assumed from old age) maybe half a year ago. However,it's been 3 days now that she hasn't eaten or drank anything and I figured she would have passed on, but she's still alive although she's not able to move much. Furthermore, yesterday I saw she had an egg partially stuck in her, which we used vaseline and a warm water bath to remove (I hope we did so correctly.) I'm now wondering if she was acting weird because she was eggbound and will perhaps get better or if that was a just a result of her being sick. Can anyone tell me if she is probably just dying of old age? If so, is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? I just feel so terrible that it's been drawn out this long, especially if she's in pain. ):

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC

Having an egg stuck can make them very ill and if they do not pass it they will usually die. It was good that you were able to get the egg out.

Since she has not been drinking, she is most likely dehydrated as well. Encourage plenty of water, add some electrolytes or vitamins to the water if you have them. Once she is fully hydrated, then offer some wet feed to see if she will eat.

There is no way to tell if she is dying of old age. Most production birds can have a shorter life span, but IMHO this is usually a result of internal laying/reproductive disorders like you are seeing in your bird. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water and poultry feed, offer oyster shell free choice for extra calcium and limit treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily diet.

Let us know how she is doing.

3. angie99

angie99 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017

She is doing a lot better! Yesterday she started eating and drinking again and now she is walking around like normal. I figure it was being eggbound that made her sick so shes recovering well now. I will definietly make sure shes getting her calcium for now on. Thanks for the advice!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by