Sick Black Sexlink?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Train, Jan 17, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    She acts lame. Just mopes around and won't run around with the flock very long. Only gets up when I get her up. She prefers to stay in the coop. Will occasionally eat but not a lot. No physical signs of injury apparent. Not egg bound. Been like this for 6 days. She is about 10 months old and has been laying eggs up until recently. The rest of the flock act well but peck at her as she cowers among them when I place her with them. Here she isolates herself in an area under some trees while the rest of the group are out foraging.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Put her in a small dog kennel inside by herself with Food and Electrolyte Water.Offer her food and water often.Check for mites and lice which will be found under the vent and wings.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Something is definitely wrong with her, perhaps an injury, a disease or organ failure. I would try to get her to a vet if possible to check her poops for parasites, but in the meantime put her in a pen or crate with food and water. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, and some chicken feed with fresh water. Electrolytes with poultry vitamins added to the water as MOC has suggested would be good. If she eats and drinks for you readily, she may either have problems getting to the food, or she could be bullied. When I have had a chicken pecked by the rest and standoffish, they have not lived long. Do several things to check her over such as feel inside her vent for a stuck egg 1-2 inches inside with a finger. Check around her vent and elsewhere for lice and mites. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard, because crop problems may be fatal. Stand her up to see if she limps, drags a leg, or has imbalance.

1 person likes this.
  4. amywig

amywig New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    Watching my sexlink doing same. Happened about 6 months ago and after 3 weeks she was normal now down again, she will occasionally walk and feed on grass for a moment but won't scratch won't clean her feathers, prefers to stay in the chicken house on the shaving on the floor,is laying an egg very rarely, I've checked her all over no egg bound, crop empty unless eats, no mites. I'm puzzled. We do not have livestock vets here.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would watch her and see if she is getting bullied from the food.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by