1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick broody but eggs are hatching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melaniearej, Apr 18, 2017.

1. melaniearej

melaniearej Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Ok so this is the first time we had babies hatch! One hatched Sunday and one today and there are 7 more eggs.
    On Saturday this hen sounded funny, gargly and coughing. I had another hen have some issues back in December with same symptoms and treated her with safeguard (goat wormer) and that fixed it. Anyways, this particular hen is difficult to handle and I mixed the wormer in with a hard boiled egg and she did eat most of it. So I did this Sunday and yesterday. No improvement in how she sounds. She's eating and drinking. She's taking care of the babies. I am not sure if I should start the tylan just in case this is respiratory. And now I am afraid of the babies being exposed but not sure what I should do.. take the babies? Treat with tylan? Keep doing what i am doing with safeguard? Ugh!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It certainly doesn't sound like worms. It sounds respiratory but I wouldn't treat with tylan unless you know what is wrong. It could just as easily be viral, fungal or even environmental. Tylan wouldn't treat those and prophylactically using antibiotics is how super bugs are created.
    Perhaps now that the chicks have hatched and she can get out into some fresh air, it may clear up.

3. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    Well that's what I am hoping! With the other hen in December I thought it was respiratory so she was put on oxytetracycline, then tylan, then the safeguard and safeguard is what I think worked. She lived on my porch for 2 months. I thought I read somewhere that the hens could have respiratory symptoms with the worms, maybe even gape worms that's actually why I ended up with the safeguard. This is so frustrating because this hen sounds terrible! Her nose is running too.But other than that she's ok. So you don't think I should take the babies? I guess it's too late now anyways because she's already exposed them. Thank you for your response! I am just afraid of doing the wrong thing!

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Definitely not worms. Gapeworm is the only helmintic that can affect breathing.
    Most types live in the digestive tract and can't cause a respiratory problem unless the load is so heavy that they aren't resistant to respiratory viruses and bacteria.
    Likely your hen that was sick in the winter had a viral infection the antibiotics didn't help and she just kicked all by herself.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    Actually I had that thought too about her just getting better on her own. So should I just let them all be? I will try post a picture/video they seem ok other than her sounded terrible. I feel terrible for the babies though. Maybe they won't get it

6. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Other than finding a good avian vet with poultry experience (whom are very uncommon) or taking her to the state poultry lab for euthanasia and lab work to find out what is ailing her, there is no way to recommend a treatment, in good conscience.

9. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    Oops the first one was the wrong one. I can't get the video to post

10. melaniearej

Mar 10, 2016
    Ok well I will keep the babies with her for now and just start adding garlic to their water. Already putting apple cider vinegar. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by