Sick Brown Leghorn...what to do? NEW VIDEO Post 6...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    About a week or so ago, one of my brown leghorns and my brahma were found to have foamy eye. The leghorn had been somewhat gurgly for a while, along with my other 2 leghorns. The other two, however, never showed any signs beyond some sneezing and the rattling, and one continued to lay while the other started laying in the middle of it. Neither of those 2 have completely rid themselves of symptoms, but we decided that unless things got worse (if they're laying decent, they can't be too sick), we wouldn't treat them.

However, we considered the foamy eye to be a worse symptom, and immediately began treatment with Tylan 50. Each received 1cc once, and then 1/2cc twice, 3 consecutive days, no off days. After the first day, the Brahma showed significant improvement. Eye was completely cleared after the 3 days, and there are no further issues. As for the leghorn, while the foamy eye cleared up, the same eye was watery for a couple days, and there was inflammation on that side of her head. Thinking it might be good to give her a break and not shoot her up any more and see what happens, we discontinued the Tylan.

Skip to today. At 6:30ish I opened the chicken door into from the coop into the run and let them out to eat. While doing so, I heard her making the sound you'll hear in the video below. Drove my wife to work and returned to find her still sitting on the roost. At around 9:00, I opened the side of the coop to clean it out. She was still there. I kind of gave her a bump because it's obvious she wasn't eating or drinking, and she jumped off the roost and headed into the run. I watched her for a couple minutes. She did drink and ate a little layer feed, but very little. I was gone for a few hours, and returned to let them free range. She was still making the sound, and just sitting in the run. A bit later, I did notice that she left the run and spent the remainder of the afternoon under my front porch, where all my chickens spend the hottest part of the day, on and off. Nice shade and much cooler. I stepped out to feed them a few snacks here and there, but she never followed the rest to partake.

After a short rainstorm, I looked out there and found her back in the run, next to the ramp, looking like she was about to head into the coop. At this point, it was only 6pm. She has been the first to go in every night, hour or more earlier than everyone else, and last to leave in the morning, by the same amount of time.

I have to say, that I'm close to culling her. This noisy breathing is getting hard to watch and I feel for her. Problem is, I keep reading about how chickens can bounce back from things pretty quickly, and I wouldn't want to end her life prematurely, especially since the other bird recovered so well (though I know that if it's CRD, there is no cure). Also, it would be my first culling, and I have to say, I'm a wuss. If I'm going to do it, not only will I need assistance in what to do, but I'm going to have to be darn sure it's the right thing to do.

Please look at the video below, and let me know if it's too soon to tell, what I might do at this point...any opinions whatsoever. Seeing the breathing problems, I purchased, yesterday, something called VetRx. Supposed to help with respiratory issues. I sprinkled some in the coop and run, and added some to their water. Beyond this...I really don't know what to do...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    First, take the vet RX, warm it up a little and then take your sick/were sick hens and rub some underneath their wings on their skin best u can, and around their nostrils. You can also drop a couple drops into theor mouth as well. It should help in my experience. The swelling might be sinus blockage so draining is important. Good luck.[​IMG]

Quote:

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, just did that. We'll see what happens...very discouraging...

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone else have any thoughts...seen this before?

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Bump for one more try...the VetRx seemed to have her breathing a little better early this morning, but she's back to making the noise again...

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Took a second video showing some of the more pronounced sounds she's been making since yesterday. Almost sneeze like, but I'm not sure that's what it is. I really need some help with this, as apparently none of what I've tried is working. Does this look/sound like something other than a respiratory issue? She has eaten, though I'm not sure how much. Same with drinking. Spent most of the day under my porch in one spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by