Sick Buckeye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kdwolf, Feb 12, 2017.

1. kdwolf

kdwolf New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    Just curious my buckeye rooster all the sudden has started laying around and falling sideways when he tries to walk still eating but we have separated him from her hoping he gets better any suggestions would help we hate to lose him he is a great roo

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi and [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear your rooster is sick.

How old is he?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    How long has he been like this?
    What does his poop look like?
    How long have you had him and have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30days?

Have you inspected his legs, hocks, toes and the feet (bottom of them too) to see if there are any injury, bruising, swelling, cuts/scrapes, scabs, etc.?

Has he by any chance eaten anything moldy, toxic (fertilizer, weed killer, etc.) or rotten - including maggots?

Separating him is a good idea, this will let you give him some TLC and monitor his symptoms. Vet care is always best, but sometimes not possible.

First keep him hydrated. Add some poultry vitamins to his water if you have them. Once he is hydrated, then offer wet poultry feed - you can give him a little chopped egg, tuna, mackerel or meat for extra protein.

There are many causes of lethargy and loss of balance so it's sometimes hard to know what is going on. Anything from dehydration and Coccidiosis to disease like Marek's.

Let us know how he is doing.

3. kdwolf

kdwolf New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    I seen nothing physically wrong with the legs feet or anything he is in a tractor with his girl only he is maybe a year old his girl is fine none of my other chickens have shown anything going on like this he is eating and drinking if we had the funds and a trustworthy vet I'd take him but just gotta wait and see

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Inspect his ears to make sure there are no lice/mites or some type of infection that can cause loss of balance.

Coccidiosis can also cause lethargy and loss of balance, if he has been exposed to new and or wet ground, then consider treating for Cocci. Treatment is with Corid that can be found at your local feed store.

Vitamin/nutritional deficiencies and diseases like Marek's can also cause similar symptoms. Giving a good Poultry vitamin that contains B vitamins may help. If you treat for Cocci, wait until you finish your treatment then give vitamins so they don't contradict one another. If you choose to go with vitamin therapy first, then personally I would start ASAP.

Keeping him hydrated will be most important regardless of what method of treatment you choose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by