Sick buff?? Need help!

dirtroaddarlin

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
I have 4 buff ladies that were born 3/7/18. They all developed bright red combs and waddles. Yesterday I noticed one of my buffs combs is very short and pale, and she does not have waddles anymore. Is she sick? What would cause this?

Attachments

• 4FCE44BF-BAFF-4142-9E9E-899DB555900D.jpeg
    4FCE44BF-BAFF-4142-9E9E-899DB555900D.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 11
Comb and wattles are very interesting...

Changes in their appearance/size are often due to hormones (which is why you can often tell a good laying hen from a poorly laying by the comb/wattles). Though chickens' wattles and combs can shrink due to health problems, comb/wattle shrinkage doesn't always mean the chicken is sick.

The production of the specific hormones that effect wattle growth and shrinkage are controlled by light exposure sensed by the pineal gland (which sits in between the chicken's eyes, just beneath a thin section of skull on the bird's forehead). Changes in temperature and activity can also influence comb/wattle fullness and vibrance (blood circulation). That being said...

Have there been any sudden changes in lighting and/or temperature where you live? Is she showing any other signs of illness (i.e. lethargy, nasal discharge, abnormal droppings and ect)?

Comb and wattles are very interesting...

Changes in their appearance/size are often due to hormones (which is why you can often tell a good laying hen from a poorly laying by the comb/wattles). Though chickens' wattles and combs can shrink due to health problems, comb/wattle shrinkage doesn't always mean the chicken is sick.

The production of the specific hormones that effect wattle growth and shrinkage are controlled by light exposure sensed by the pineal gland (which sits in between the chicken's eyes, just beneath a thin section of skull on the bird's forehead). Changes in temperature and activity can also influence comb/wattle fullness and vibrance (blood circulation). That being said...

Have there been any sudden changes in lighting and/or temperature where you live? Is she showing any other signs of illness (i.e. lethargy, nasal discharge, abnormal droppings and ect)?

Thank you for the info I really appreciate it. It’s super hot out, but has been off and on for a few months now. I don’t really monitor droppings because I have 36 ladies. I just noticed her comb and was like uh oh!! I didn’t see any nasal drippings and she seems to act normal, I fed them watermelon rinds because it was close to 100* and she was eating them with everyone else.

I have 4 buff ladies that were born 3/7/18. They all developed bright red combs and waddles. Yesterday I noticed one of my buffs combs is very short and pale, and she does not have waddles anymore. Is she sick? What would cause this?
What are you feeding your ladies?
Likely the the heat is partially to blame for the paleness. Watch to see that she is drinking and eating well. Check her for lice/mites, make sure her crop is empty by morning and if possible collect some of her droppings for a fecal float.

What are you feeding your ladies?
Likely the the heat is partially to blame for the paleness. Watch to see that she is drinking and eating well. Check her for lice/mites, make sure her crop is empty by morning and if possible collect some of her droppings for a fecal float.
I’ve been feeding her a mix from the local feed store. I think it’s a mix between starter and layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom