Sick Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PattyMB, Apr 28, 2017.

1. PattyMB

PattyMB New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Hello,
    I have a 13 month old Buff that has and odd head bob. I noticed that she had poo on her butt on Monday and she just seemed off. After reading some forums, I thought she might have worms. On Tuesday, I treated with Wazine. She is not eating much is pretty lethargic and now has this odd head bob. She is getting worse each day.
    I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm having trouble finding a local vet that treats chickens. Here is a link: .
    Could this be gapeworm? Impacted crop? I did try to feel for a bulge or mushy crop as suggested on some of the forums but I'm at a loss. I new to keeping chickens and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Pat

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Thanks for the video. To me, the neck movement is adjusting the crop. Chickens will do this periodically which is normal, but it's good to pay attention to their actions.

Feel her crop when she goes to bed (roosting) - it should be full. Check again first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink. It should feel flat (empty). If she still has food in the crop in the morning, then she is developing a crop issue.

Here's an article that shows some photos of where the crop is and how to check it:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

This article is very good at explaining and treating crop issues: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Let us know how she is doing.

3. PattyMB

PattyMB New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Hi Wyorp Rock,
    Thank you so much for your reply and the links. The links were very helpful in knowing I was sorta in the right spot for feeling her crop. She definitely did not have a bulge like the chickens in the photos.

Update: By Saturday morning the head bob was almost constant, she was eating very little and if she did take a treat it had to be broken into a tiny piece. Out of desperation, I treated her with Ivermectin and added vitamins to the water. Sunday didn't bring any improvement but today she is better! I'm not sure if she had something stuck in her crop or if she had worms but I'm grateful that she is better. Today, I've been feeding her some finely ground oatmeal softened with Greek yogurt. She is readily taking the food today and is moving around a lot more.

I'll post another update in a day or two.

Thanks again for your reply!
    Pat

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she is doing better[​IMG]

Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by