Sick Buff Orpington!

glandeche

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
I have a 20 week old buff hen, I have noticed she is isolated from the others and her eyes seem to be closed, if i hold her she opens one but seems to have trouble keeping them open. There is no secretions from the eyes.....anyone ever had this problem or have any remedies?

Hi! Sorry I just saw your post! Give her some sugar water to start, until you can get her some vitamins. Have you wormed her and the others? That might be it if there is nothing else that you can see wrong with her. Get some poly-vi-sol without iron vitamins and give her some of that. I would try worming all of them though! I hope she gets better!!!
fl.gif

i placed her in a seperate brooder, put some vitamine in her water, what kind of wormer do i get , do local feed stores carry that?

Yes, you can get it at the feed store. They should be able to tell you what to get. If she has worms, then you need to give it to all of them. I try to deworm mine twice a year, just don't eat the eggs for two weeks! Good luck!
big_smile.png

Oh, some plain yogurt might perk her up!

Last edited:
she has been wormed, but seems like she is off balance, eyes closed, anything else i can do

Try mixing her feed with some milk. Powdered milk, regular milk, canned milk, buttermilk, even spoiled milk! The milk seems to coat the belly, and make them feel better. Mine absolutely LOVE it! Make it so it's a crumble, and not really soupy or mushy. Like maybe a tablespoon of each and see if she'll eat that.

Worming and antibiotics are both hard on their system. It knocks out good, along with the bad bacteria. Yogurt or ProBios will help restore the good stuff in the digestive system.

I can't remember, but is she of laying age? If so, has she been laying? Could she be egg bound? Or an internal layer?

Noticing any difference in the poop? Any blood? Any diarrhea?

Has she been medicated for coccidiosis? Is she on the ground? Anyone else having any different kind of poop? If on the ground, I'd look for any poop that is showing blood. She very well could have it, and if so, most likely the rest do as well and will all need to be treated.

Do a search on here for the symptoms of cocci. My guess that 's what is wrong.

well, she is in her own brooder, havent seen any blood, she is drinking her water which is mixed with vitamines and electrolytes, she is 20 weeks this weekend, so she hasnt layed yet but should be close, i looked her over, she isnt losing feathers, and looks completely normal except for the fact that she isnt active, seems off balance and her eyes still remain closed, no discharge, i did notice that her comb has small black dots on it....i let her out and watched her and she didnt do a whole lot.....ahh i am a road block!

Back
Top Bottom