1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick buff orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RetiredRN, Aug 10, 2014.

1. RetiredRN

RetiredRN Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    I have a 5 year old Buff Orpington named Blondie that has lost a lot of weight and is weak. She has a whitish-yellow discharge from her vent and some yellow sores - these symptoms fit the description for vent gleet. I have read all about treatments for vent gleet - Epson salts (tried this several days ago), probiotics (I've got yogurt and buttermilk, and probiotic tablets), mycostatin cream, and molasses. I bought some Copper Sulfate but wasn't sure that what I bought was in the correct form -I got blue green crystals used for cleaning swimming pools. Since I wasn't sure, this was one treatment that I haven't tried. I have been treating her with Mycostatin cream - topically and with a little up into her vent. I have also sprinkled a crushed up probiotic tablet on wet cat food, buttermilk on bread/toast, wet laying mash, scrambled eggs, and yogurt. She won't eat anything. This morning I mixed up a solution of water with molasses and crushed probiotic tablet and I fed her about 5-6 cc with a syringe.
    It also appears that her upper beak is longer than usual, possibly impeding eating.
    I don't know what to do - this has been going on for about 4 days now. I thought if I could get the yellow stools to stop I would try and fatten her up with anything she might eat but she's really not eating. She's been one of my very favorite chickens - I have 7 other big hens and I also have 12 silkie-mix chickens. No one else is sick. Blondie is the oldest and all the other big hens (Barred rock, Mix barred rock/buff orpington, sex-linked) were raised by her.
    Should I just continue offering food that I hope she'll eat, keep her bottom cleaned, apply monistat cream and let nature take it's course?
    I'd love some advice!

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    the whitish yellow discharge sounds like maybe the egg she was carrying broke inside her if she keeps pooping it out I would take her to a vet but I am not sure if they can help this. does it look like she is pooping egg yolk or is it like normal poop but different coloring. if it isn't a broken egg then ask your vet about the yellow spots it could be some sort of illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by