Sick button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zbird, Feb 17, 2013.

1. zbird

zbird New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm new to button quails, well I bought 12 of them 2 day ago. One of them is sickly, he's ice cold to the touch, super slow, and hardly ever moves. What should I do?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Get him under a heat/brooder lamp. Keep the temp up around 85+ degrees. Separate him and snuggle him in with some stuffed animals and out of any drafts. Try to get him to eat anything he will eat, even if that is human foods like warm oatmeal, grits or warm hard boiled eggs.

You might want to try using some antibiotics on him. Some low dose duramycin might help any bacterial infection he is suffering from.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. zbird

zbird New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Oregon
    The little guy already died :( I had them under a heat lamp and there are no drafts, also he was eating and drinking fine. He/she was 2 weeks old. Do you know what may have been wrong?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    It is hard to say what could have been wrong with such little information provided. Keep an eye on the rest of them, and post back if anything else occurs. All you can do is provide the best conditions for them to flourish; when Mother Nature steps in, there is not a whole lot you can do.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    At 2 weeks old, cocci is the most common killer of birds. It could also have had a bacterial infection of some sort. Even mites take out babies of that age as well. I am sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it. [​IMG]

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    at two weeks these are still babies! they must be kept in a brooder and the heat level should be 85-90 F.
    As these birds age, around 8-9 weeks old, you will need to separate them into pairs in separate cages. Did you know that?
    Please ask if you need further help.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by