Sick Campine hen!

ElbowLakeRoos

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
I have a sick hen who's weak and I found her outside in the cold! She keeps her eyes closed but when they are open they're bright! She's weak and can barely stand! She was soaked from the rain! I soaked her in some warm water and then blow dryed her! She has a small animal crate with hay, and that's in a dog play pen with towel. She has layers mash, lettuce and warm water. She wasn't drinking or eating so with an eyedropper I gave her some warm water with some sugar dissolved in it. She soonly after pooped.

Does it look healthy? Or..

How old is she? Could she have coccidiosis? Has she been wormed? She sounds very weak, and needs electrolytes. If you have Pedialyte, SaveAChick electrolytes, or Gatorade, I would give her that, and hold it up to her beak, or dip her beak in it often tonight. Many times with a suddenly sick chicken, you pretty much may need to rule out possible problems. If a vet is possible tomorrow morning take a fresh early morning droppings sample in for a test for worms and coccidiosis. She could be in poor shape from the cold and rain, but I would check her crop to make sure that it is empty in the morning, look her over for signs of lice and mites, listen to her breathing, and look for nasal or eye drainage. There is more urates in her droppings than poop, so she may not have been eating much. Coccidiosis symptoms are extreme weakness, lethargy, puffing up with neck drawn down into body, diarrhea with or without blood depending on the strain, poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

Last edited:
Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water, and mix new daily. Treat for 5 days, no more than 7.

Last edited:
If you need to wake a weak hen up and get it eating, a B12 injection helps. Dose is .5 cc in the breast muscle. Keep her warm. I would treat for Coccidiosis and see what happens in about 3 days. Like Egg said, it is important the bird drinks and eats.

I came home from work tonight and she had died. She was hatched in june! She had no signs of lice or mites! Also no nasal or eye drainage was present! She had the coccidiosis signs other than blood in dropping! I checked on the rest of my hens and one of my SLW was sleeping in a nesting box and seems a bit weak as well. I'll take her into the vet tomorrow!
What is the price of a check up if I take my SLW in?
How bad is coccidiosis?
What should I do to prevent losing more hens?
And what did I do wrong?
Thank you so much!!!

I'll go get corridtomorrow! should I treat the whole flock?

I am so sorry about your pullet. Yes, you should treat the whole flock. Get some 1 or 3 ml syringes, vitamins-electrolytes, and Probios dispersible powder in addition to the Corid. Corid 20% powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon and the 9.6% liquid is 10 ml or 2 tsp per gallon of water. Give it for 5-7 days, then follow up with vitamin and Probios in water for 2-3 days. The Probios is added at 1 tsp per gallon. From that day to the following weeks, give vitamins 2-3 days a week in water, one of those days adding a teaspoon of Probios powder.The one that is sick might need to be syringe fed is why I mentioned getting some syringes.

Young birds not raised with preventative dosages of amprolium periodically through the growth stages have a more difficult time developing immunity. Over the years I have experimented with different approaches and have found Corid, as a preventative dose, given every 3 weeks in water for 5 days until they are 7-9 months of age makes a big difference. Medicated feeds are recommended for the first 16 weeks, and that is not a long enough duration. Plus, you do not know whether they are getting enough of it in feed. I hope that helps and you do not lose any more chicks. I hope they all become healthy and strong.

Back
Top Bottom