Sick chic

makaiyabug

Hatching
Jun 15, 2016
Hi all,
We picked chicks up this am one chick was weak and died within 1 hr of coming home. 5 are doing well. 1 salmon favorelle had pasty butt which I soaked and looks fine now, but has progressively gotten weaker. She just lays around. I dip her beak in water mixed with save a chic, she seems to get a little but then a little later she seems to puke it up. Also I haven't seen her poo since I cleaned her pasty butt. Just offered boiled eggs. What else can I do?

Hi all,
We picked chicks up this am one chick was weak and died within 1 hr of coming home. 5 are doing well. 1 salmon favorelle had pasty butt which I soaked and looks fine now, but has progressively gotten weaker. She just lays around. I dip her beak in water mixed with save a chic, she seems to get a little but then a little later she seems to puke it up. Also I haven't seen her poo since I cleaned her pasty butt. Just offered boiled eggs. What else can I do?
Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry for you loss.

How old are they?
Did they come in the mail or did you get them locally?
What does the poop look like?
Unfortunately with chicks, there are so many things, it's hard to tell what's wrong sometimes.
Are the crops full, have they eaten at all?

Providing heat/warmth, fresh water (sav-a-chick is good) and food (chick starter and/or boiled eggs) is about the best you can do.
Hydration is important so encourage drinking, if she won't drink by herself take an eye dropper or syringe and drop water by the side of the beak, most of the time they will take it in. It's a bit of a slow go, take your time and let her take a few drops when she can.
If they have eaten anything beside chick starter provide them with grit (IMO).

Let us know how they are doing.

That one died overnight, I got up a cpl times to give water but she just got weaker and weaker. I ordered thru a local farmers store and they came from murray mcmurray, I also have 7 2 week old chicks that are doing great
Hoping thus doesn't mean that chic was sick w something. The 5 younger ones are good now.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry for your loss.

That sounds like all the 16 chicks I lost from mail order, it was probably just weak. Just make sure you see everyone else making it to food and water.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom