1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katsdar, Oct 11, 2012.

1. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Please I need help, My chick got chilled and now she is showing signs of a cold, not sure of her age, feathers on wings are coming in, she also has a cold in her eye, I now have her inside under heat, giving her vitamins and electrolytes and have med for her eye, eye is much better, pasty butt is gone she seems to be feeling better after evening of vit/ele and eye med, eating and drinking, but she seems to sometimes gasp for air. Do I get antibiotics or give it more time?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes when they almost die of cold they do get eye drainage and gasp at times, I have found in my experience. I would not give antibiotics for a chilling.

The best thing you can do is keep that temperature nice and stable so she doesn't get chilled again. Don't feed a chilled chick until they warm up (doesn't take long for them to warm up).

In case you don't know the temperature ranges:
    90-95 degrees first week of life then decrease by 5 degrees each week until 6 weeks of age or fully feathered, even on the head. I let them go a little longer on the light in the winter.

My chickens usually like the cooler end of the temperature range. Make sure they can get away from the heat to the opposite side of the brooder.

1 person likes this.
  3. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Thank you so much for the information hopefully peeps will make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by