Sick chick - 10 days old - respiratory - need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myfester, May 18, 2010.

1. myfester

myfester Songster

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    I got my 4 new babies 10 days ago (2 buff orpingtons, 1 cochin, 1 silkie). All except the silkie are well and very active. I thought the inactivity of my silkie was just his/her personality and since it's the smallest of all, figured it wanted to just keep from getting pounced on. Anyway, today while holding him(I have a feeling it's a him), I could hear a "popping/crackling" sound while he breathes. His breathing has always been MUCH more rapid than the others from day 2, again figuring since he's small...needs to breath faster. A few nights ago, he got chilled during the night. Had the heat lamp too far away. I don't know if he came down with a respiratory infection now. If it sounds like a respiratory infection to you, what treatment should I get for him? The faster I know the better, so I can heal him. All are on medicated chick starter crumble, and his appetite is still well. Thanks for your help.

2. coldinnh

coldinnh Songster

May 13, 2010
    NH
    in my readings apparently Apple Cider Vinegar is the cure all

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Songster

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    First, separate her from the others so they don't get sick too, then put some duramayacin and vitamins/electrolites in her drinking water, and make sure she's nice and warm, and one thing I do is--once I ran a vaporizer with vicks in it for a very sick hen of mine and she pulled through with flying colors! Now, since it's a little chick, the odds might be against it, but it's worth a try!

Good luck!
    Sharon

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Songster

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Because birds are highly susceptible to toxins in the air, I would be very reluctant to run a vaporizer with Vick's in it. Chicks are not supposed to be kept on cedar shavings because the aromatic oils in the cedar are toxic.

Keep this little guy warm and give him "boosted" foods -- mix yogurt with his crumbles, add poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron in his water. Read up on duramycin.

Best of good luck to you,
    Jenny

6. myfester

myfester Songster

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Thank you, THANK YOU for your suggestions. I have been putting a few drops of vinegar in their water bowls (I don't think he likes it much though). I haven't separated him from the pack because then he cries and cries. The others show no sign of illness. I feel so bad for him, he's breathing so fast and heavy [​IMG] He sleeps under the light while the others mostly sleep on the other side of the crate.
    I'm going to see if the local feed store has the medications suggested and read up on each. Right now, their bedding is some newspaper and shredded paper. I was using toilet paper squares in there over newspaper, but they were eating the TP, but I may go back to that anyway, mainly because they are making a HUGE mess with the shreddings. I've been looking for a vet that deals with poultry..but so far...no luck unless I drive 1-2 hours away...strange since we have a lot of poultry out here...but I'm sure if there are sicks ones...they are just culled. I will post an update either way.

Thanks again,
    Laura

7. myfester

myfester Songster

Dec 8, 2009
    Oxford, PA
    Sadly, the little guy gave up his fight today and passed on to the big coop in the sky [​IMG] I did everything I could for him. Thought he might have been pulling thru, but it was too much for him I guess. Thank you for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by