Sick chick, - advice anyone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckabucka, Apr 25, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Hi.
    I hatched out a chick that is now 6 days old. The first 2 days, it was lively and eating, drinking normally, but very lonely as it was the only chick to hatch. It always seems to sleep standing up, which I thought was odd. It's third day in the brooder, I added 3 day-old chicks from a feed store. Everyone seemed to get along fine, all eating, drinking, interacting normally.

I am feeding medicated chick starter, and a dilute solution of durvet in the water. (I understand that the package makes a huge quantity)

The chick I hatched is now acting listless. It tends to stand under the heat lamp all the time with it's eyes closed. This morning, it was not eating and looked a little pasted up. I cleaned him off, but he chirped loudly and did not eat when I put him back. The chick is very small. It's feathers are growing, but the wings are now longer than the body. His body is smaller than any of the other chicks.

My husband reported that he was moving around more and eating normally at noon. This evening when I returned form work, he is back to standing under the heat lamp all the time. I mixed some egg yolk and feed and dipped his beak in it, but he wouldn't eat any. He did have a little sip of water when I put his beak in it. I put Avia 2000 in the water this time, - if that is any different from the durvet. He doesn't look pasted up now.

I know sometimes there is something wrong and chicks fail to thrive, but is there something else I could be doing for him? It's the first and only chick I ever hatched, and I'd love to see him make it.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things to me! One of my girls pasted up a few times when she was little and she would get a little sleepy and slow, but she came through it OK. Good luck, I hope he makes it!

3. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks for your response. I think the chick will be gone by tomorrow. It refused food this morning. I tried to get a little egg yolk in it's beak this evening, but it was not pleasant for the chick or for me. It is basically too far gone. I wish there was some way to know what went wrong
    At least the chick doesn't appear to be suffering. It just sleeps all the time. It is under the heat lamp nestled with a feather duster.

4. feltonfarmer

feltonfarmer New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    i posted this eve about my sick chick....she is doing well, no more vomiting....i gave her droppers of the water w/ the electrolyte/vitamin mix, and egg yokes w/ sugar, and she has really come back to life. we thought we had lost her....worth a try. sorry yours is not doing well. it is so sad when they aren't doing well. good yours isn't suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by