Sick Chick? Advice Needed!

jhorlamus

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
Advice Needed!

I have a 5 month old Silkie Pullet battling with what I believe is Wry Neck. As of today it’s officially been a week and I have seen improvements! I know people say it get worse before it get better but now I’m worried about her bowels. She has been eating and drinking now on her own but I still give her supplements for additional help aside from the fact she isn’t 100% yet and her neck is still a bit “funny”. She drinks water mixed with Rooster Booster, mash (Nutrena Feather Fixer 18% and Game Bird Crumbles 22%), Vit E capsule, and scrambled eggs. I have tried the Selenium/Vit E Goat paste but she refuses to eat it and I’ve also tried tuna and broccoli which she also doesn’t like. Anyway, I’ve seen overall improvement in her physically but now her poops don’t look right.

Ugh I don’t know what else to do.... thoughts?

P.S. I have her man with her because she was lonely and he takes good care of her and he also has off colored poop as well. They are quarantined together separate from the rest of my birds.

The first photo is of HER poop and the second image is of HIS poop.

CA68FFAE-B97F-420E-A4E4-6002913AE01A.jpeg
35889A3F-2ACD-4A6C-8599-325CD0E4207C.jpeg

The first poop looks a little green, and that could be from not eating enough. Try treating with vitamin E 400 IU and a little B complex daily, since Poultry Cell has electrolytes which may cause runny droppings. Electrolytes can cause diarrhea if used more than a few days. The second dropping is a cecal poop, which is normal occasionally, and from fermentation.

The first poop looks a little green, and that could be from not eating enough. Try treating with vitamin E 400 IU and a little B complex daily, since Poultry Cell has electrolytes which may cause runny droppings. Electrolytes can cause diarrhea if used more than a few days. The second dropping is a cecal poop, which is normal occasionally, and from fermentation.
Ok! I have rooster booster in the water currently for these two. How often should I leave it in there? It has been there for about 5 days.
I also put the some in the water for my main flock. What should the change out time be for having it v regular water
Both poops are green but hers is significantly runnier. I have been treating her wry neck with Vit e supplements and was recommended to try Poly-Vi-Sol which I will start tomorrow when it arrives.

Thanks for the advice! I got scared there was more wrong the just her Wry neck!

If the Rooster Booster (just the brand name) is vitamins with electrolytes, I would stop those, because you don’t want to give electrolytes for more than a few days. Anything like that added to the water should be changed daily. The E is most important, and 400 IU daily is about right. The other important vitamin is B1 or thiamine, which is in Polyvisol and most vitamins for chicks and humans. But human vitamin B complex has all of the B’s and can be crushed and put into a spoonful of water (dosage 1/4 tablet daily.) That way, you are not flavoring their water, which sometimes they don’t drink as well. Silkies are sometimes prone to wry neck. Is she having any lameness or wing drooping? Wry neck is a symptom of several things, such as vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, head injury, or sometimes a disease (Mareks and others.) She may need to be hand fed if she is not eating and drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom