Sick chick- advice please!!

ni22

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
First time with baby chicks here and yesterday when I got them one had a pasty bottom, I cleaned her up and she was great all day yesterday- eating, drinking, pooping, etc. This morning she seems more tired than the others, the others are up and eating and stuff but she is still sleeping and when someone steps on her she will let out an annoyed peep though she doesn't get up and move. She isn't eating and I gave her a few drops of sugar water but it doesn't seem to be helping and when I picked her up she let out a couple annoyed cheeps but then closed her eyes again. Advice would be much appreciated!!!

We had the same thing happen and lost one baby (2 weeks old). We are new too and turned here for advice. Same symptoms with the first chick as yours then others to follow. We got started on Corid 9.6% solution in their water and now all are flourishing. Nursed one all night with the dropper b/c I thought we were going to loose her. We got our Corid at the feed store (its in the cattle isle usually). We mix ours as follows: 2.5ml/cc per 1 liter (our waterer holds one liter). We change out twice a day or at least every 24 hours.

Good luck! I know how scary it is being new and not knowing what to do for your babies!

She does look a little fluffed up, no ground contact, they have been in my brooder since yesterday when they arrived. I will treat them all, the others are very active and don't seem to have issues today, just her.

We gave the sickest one treated water with the eye dropper to ensure that she was getting some until she perked up. We actually mixed a little food in a cup with treated water and feed that to her every hour to hour and half until she was up and around. She was so weak that I worried she would die from dehydration before the medicine kicked in. After about 12 hours some of the others started showing signs of cocci as well, we had already started the Corid and it has taken about 48 hours for everyone to be back to normal - active, eating, drinking, etc.

Hope all goes well.
Love and Bless.

GRR! I went to the closest feed store and can you believe it they had no idea what I was talking about!!! I wrote down Corid 9.6% and the guy said he had no idea so I had to drive another 25 minutes out of the way to another feed store where I found it. See if I go back to that place again!!! Back home and I have started them all on the treated water, the others still seem find and it has been about 6 hours since I noticed signs in the first one, the first one is still hanging on but I don't have high hopes for her unfortunately, she looks so sickly. I also gave her some of the treated water mixed with a little food as suggested, will keep trying with her but I feel better that the others are being treated in case. Thanks!!

Not looking good for this little one, she is now laying on her side gasping for air. I don't think she has much longer.
sad.png
The other girls are still doing good. It has been 8 hours now since I noticed she was sick.

You are doing what you can. I know how awful it feels to lose one especially the first one. Hold on to hope...I thought our other one was not going to make it either but after feeding she rallied. Thinking about and praying for you!

She passed a couple minutes after my last post.
hit.gif
The other ladies are still doing well though, I never did see any diarrhea in her box after I moved her to a separate area so I suspect that she just couldn't handle the shipping, I am still going to keep the other ladies on the Corid for 5 days just in case.

So sorry about the loss. Same situation here. We picked ours up locally and never saw any loose stool and she went very quickly (12 hours). It was a few more days that others showed symptoms. Good to keep the corid going...good luck!

Back
Top Bottom