sick chick....any advice?

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
4,811
8
231
Western MA
I have a 4 week old mille Fluer D'Uccle which is one of 3 chicks. They've been in a rabbit cage and not with the flock. So they got to free range 1/2 day for the first time yesterday. Today the one in question is puffed up and not eating or drinking. It seems to have a balance issue also. In the chicken health handbook, the only thing that fits is 'sudden death' and so it seems like there is nothing i can do. I thought i should post here to see if anyone has any ideas? I also wonder if anyone has ever seen this behavior from them eating a yucky bug or something


Wendy
 
Last edited:

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
4,811
8
231
Western MA
In hopes that there might be some 'more helpful' people online this evening, I thought i would update to add she is having trouble breathing now. I am sure she will be passing soon without help. I am still hoping to find out if anyone knows what this is or means for future reference. Out of 17000 people on BYC, I just cannot believe the only reply i got when asking for help was a mean one
 
Last edited:

jenni2142

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
461
2
131
South Carolina
could it be food poisoning(botulism)? there was a similar post recently. i will look for the link. i know that there are bugs and plants that can make them sick. maybe more info might help others to help, droppings, feed, could it have gotten in compost?
i am sorry the only response you got was mean and that your chick is sick. i wish i could offer more but have never experienced this.
 

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
6,080
13
251
Maine
My first thought if NO other chickens on the property are sick then I would think your chick ingested something. Do you have any type of rodent control poisons on the property where the larger chickens may not have access? Or, as mentioned, a plant or bug. I would isolate the chick. I am sorry I can't offer more. Hopefully someone can help. :aww
 

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
4,811
8
231
Western MA
Thank you both......I think it might be too late, but i will certainly try. She is only 4 weeks old and there are no droppings anymore because she is not eating. I did try yogurt but i will try harder to get something in her.
I dont use poison because of the chickens. This chick was exposed to the same stuff as the other 2. BUT......after reading the thread you added the link to, i think it might be the same thing. There is a feeder on the ground for the crossbeak. I try to move it often to not allow mold to form. The mother did lead them into that area yesterday and they were eating the feed on the ground around it. I wish that person posted if it worked out or not. I will try to hydrate the chick now if she is still alive. Thank you for your advice
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom