Sick Chick: Are These Mites?!?! Help ASAP They're Everywhere!!! Pics!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, May 23, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    HELP PLEASE!!! As some of you may have read my sick chick thread this has been going on for about a month now, until today I HAD NO CLUE what was wrong with him. We brought him inside the house and on Friday moved him back outside into quarantine.... I wake up today to find THIS all over my fishtank and worm farm which was right next to where we had him... Here's the thing... I held him and inspected him CLOSE for mites and didn't see a thing... to this day I have never seen one of these on him.... but then these things are here in my house after I take him out.... ARE THESE WHAT HAS BEEN MAKING HIM SICK ALL ALONG?!?!?!?!?! HELP PLEASE!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would have to figure, you will have to get some poultry dust asap. I would move that tank outside before the buggers move in to your home

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    YES we are moving and cleaning everything right now as we speak. I dusted him yesterday for mites and still didn't see any but now I'm glad I did! I will need to get some Ivermectin as well.

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    OMG. How do you find these things and how do you know if your chickens have them? Yikes! I hope you get it under control!
    Is it necessary to treat if you don't have them (as a preventative) ???

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    I never actually saw any ON him, just in his area a couple days after I moved him out. I would think in most cases you would SEE them ON the chicken, in my case I just didn't. I am going to treat with Ivermectin a couple times a year, it kills mites and de-worms also, and I'm going to do it whether or not I see them!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Do you know how you will use the ivermectin? I need to be doing this as well.

Good luck with the problem and your chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by