Sick chick? :c

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krisgoat, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Krisgoat

Krisgoat New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone. I think my chick is sick but I don't know what she has. Shes been acting different for the past 4 days. Her symptoms are sitting down suddenly - like just plopping down. She doesn't seem to want to walk far. She IS eating and drinking. However, today I noticed runny poop. Her eyes look normal. And her breathing and noises seem normal too. She is one of two new chicks - we bought about 6 months ago. However the smaller one died suddenly in February.

I put her outside everyday in a run and keep her inside at night in the blue box you see in the vid. She is small for her age so I'm keeping her separated from my two adults so they wont pick on her. When I come to get her in the morning she is normally raring to go. I'll say "want to go out?" and she will hop on top of her water, or onto the edge of the box. As you can see from the video she is not hoping at all. She doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

Does anyone recognize this behavior? Im not sure what to do. :c

EDIT: She is now doing great! Thank you everyone! :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Start her on some vitamin B12 and Vit. E in her water for at least two weeks. Give the vit B12 everyday and the vit E every couple of days. You can get liquid B complex/ B12 at the pharmacy. Eletrolyte solution has some vitamins too, so this will help her out. I had a hen suddenly get leg paralysis, stager when trying to walk, using the wing for balance. Looked it up here it was probably Merke's disease, a viral infection, yours is at the age for transmission. They can survive it for some time, but some will die from it right away. My hen lived for 3 more years.

3. Krisgoat

Krisgoat New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Ya Ive been watching her out in the run - she seems pretty okay but her legs act like they cant support her body. She will take a few stiff legged steps then her legs will just bend and collapse. However she is walking more today!! Ill start her on the vitamins! :)

4. Krisgoat

Krisgoat New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    She seems to be getting better! Each day she walks a Little further and stands longer! :) I think she may be alright! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Krisgoat

Krisgoat New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

Shes doing great! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by