Sick chick- coccidiosis?

fromamama

Hatching
Jun 20, 2016
Hello all!

I have 4 week old chicks, and two days ago I noticed some unusual poop. It has the look and consistency of raspberry jelly. I isolated each chick for a short period of time to find out which one was the culprit. Her feathers have been ruffled, and she feels lighter than usual, is not eating/drinking much. I know this is textbook coccidiosis. I have a few concerns regarding this though:

1. They were all vaccinated for coccidiosis at Murray/McMurray hatchery, so I have been using UNmedicated feed (which is par for the course when they are vaccinated). Can they still get cocci despite vaccination?
2. Two days before the bloody stool began, I switched them to a different brand of feed, but they all ate it just fine
3. None of the other chicks are displaying symptoms-- and I moved all of the healthy ones outside to their new coop yesterday. The sick chick is currently in isolation in the brooder
4. Since yesterday the sick chick has had no further bloody stools, but still appears ill.

Should I start treating them with Corid even though they have been vaccinated? Should I switch back to the old feed? Is there anything else I can be doing for the sick chick? (I have isolated her, given her yogurt, and a mush of milk and feed)

Thank you so much for your help! I am a nervous first-time chicken mama!

Welcome to BYC.

That is a tough question.
Since they were vaccinated for Cocci by Murray McMurray, it may be in your best interest to direct your question to them.
They should be able to advise you on which vaccine was used and what treatment(s), if any, need to be given.

Give them a call and see if they can help you.

Vaccines can be missed, and are not always 100% effective. I would at least treat the sick chick with 5 days of Corid in it's water. Give it with a dropper if it is not drinking. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, mixed fresh daily. You may even give a drop or two of concentrated Corid twice a day to jumpstart treatment. Using amprollium in Corid or medicated feed will undo the vaccine, but is important to save lives. There have been many cases of cocci and Mareks disease in chicks that have been supposedly vaccinated. This is just my opinion.

Vaccines can be missed, and are not always 100% effective. I would at least treat the sick chick with 5 days of Corid in it's water. Give it with a dropper if it is not drinking. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, mixed fresh daily. You may even give a drop or two of concentrated Corid twice a day to jumpstart treatment. Using amprollium in Corid or medicated feed will undo the vaccine, but is important to save lives. There have been many cases of cocci and Mareks disease in chicks that have been supposedly vaccinated. This is just my opinion.

Good to know
smile.png

Wasn't sure if the Corid/Amprol would even work if the chicks were vaccinated. So treatment would essentially "cancel" the vaccine, but treating with Corid/Amprol would be effective against the Cocci anyway?

Agreed!

Update- the chicks are doing MUCH better after nursing them back with scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and Corid. I plan on moving them back out to the coop in a couple of days. Switched to medicated feed, which they will remain on!

LESSON LEARNED- skip the coccidiosis vaccine and just use medicated feed!

Thank you all for the advice- you saved my flock!!

So glad your chicks are on the mend! This forum has been a savior to me! I have a chick that came down with the same thing. Everyone is being treated to be on the safe side but the culprit is inside getting babied. Hopefully I caught it early enough.

I have a two week old chick suffering from coccidiosis also, I've been feeding her the starter feed mixed with corid water since she wasn't eating or drinking much...also super thinned out egg yolk mixed with the water. Did you give your chick grit while you gave her the cottage cheese & scrambled eggs? Mine hasn't had any grit and now her crop is super full...I've read both that they need grit and that the starter feed has grit so I was just curious since you are dealing with it right now also, So glad your chick is better! Thank you!

I have a two week old chick suffering from coccidiosis also, I've been feeding her the starter feed mixed with corid water since she wasn't eating or drinking much...also super thinned out egg yolk mixed with the water. Did you give your chick grit while you gave her the cottage cheese & scrambled eggs? Mine hasn't had any grit and now her crop is super full...I've read both that they need grit and that the starter feed has grit so I was just curious since you are dealing with it right now also, So glad your chick is better! Thank you!
I bring in a dish of dirt from the yard when I start adding treats for chicks that aren't on pasture yet. But never have for egg yolk, not sure about cottage cheese.

Are you treating all of your chicks with the Corid?

Good luck!

Hi,
I have 4-wk old chicks and everyone seems to be doing well. A couple just seem to have runny stool. I am feeding them the starter feed and usually just a handful of treat for all of them once in the mornings; when I greet them and check their feed/water. What else should I be doing? Sorry, in advance. First-time chicken daddy...lol

Back
Top Bottom