Sick chick - coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mannadi, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mannadi

mannadi New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm looking for help with a sick chick. I noticed in the middle of the night last night that she was cheeping loudly like she was in distress and looking listless - droopy head and wings, eyes closed unless another chick shoved her over. Her droppings were irregular and after looking at my Storey's guide I thought maybe she had coccidiosis. This morning we ran out and got some electrolyte and probiotic additives for the water, separated her from the rest of the chicks, and completely cleaned out the brooder. After a little more research this afternoon we ran back to the store and got some Corid. Gave her one undiluted drop and mixed the correct dosage in with her fresh water. She won't drink without help, won't eat, isn't leaving any droppings and is cheeping constantly with that loud, distressed peep. Is there anything else we can do for her? Am I missing something?
    Amanda

2. Lynnsfarm

Lynnsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. One thing I noticed you said was "wont drink without a little help" Water is very important to birds as you probably know. I don't know what's wrong with it , but I would definitely get some water into her through a tube. I used fish tank clear rubber tubing and attached it to a syringe. There are great directions on here for tube feeding. Anyhow, hopefully someone will have an idea with what's wrong. But in the meantime we want to keep it alive. Good Luck

3. Lynnsfarm

Lynnsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    Possibly sour crop? Try a few drops of apple cider vinegar in water. I have read that this helps.

4. BriskRooster

BriskRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    is there a bad sour smell coming from the mouth? if there is, it is likely sour crop or impacted crop, but if not it's likely cocci, sulpher Quinn is great for destroying cocci, but i might be illegal in your area..

5. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
    also you should check the bird all over in case it has a tick.

6. mannadi

mannadi New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    No sour smell and no ticks. She perked up a few hours after we started the Corid and after we got some water in her. Her wings aren't so droopy and she's walking around, eating and drinking on her own. Which is a huge improvement. She stopped crying for awhile, but started back up. If it is coccidiosis how long does she need to be quarantined?

7. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
    in-till she shows absolutely no signs of sickness, cocci is spread through feces. good to hear he is improving :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by