Sick chick? Coughing sound and snorting?

DrFarmersDrWife

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
Raymondville, TX
I have my second set of chicks and one of them is making a coughing kind of sound and a deeper sounding chirp at times. When she sleeps she kind of sounds like she is snoring. Is this a normal thing for some chicks? She is the biggest and most rambunctious. I mean she was jumping up on a three inch tall box. They are 8 days old.

Could this be infectious?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Do you see any discharge from the nostrils? Is she acting normal otherwise? Does the brooder seem to be dusty, or dirty? Dust or high ammonia levels can cause sneezing, coughing, etc. Or, she could have a respiratory disease (but unless she's been exposed to other sick birds, 8 days old is pretty young for a chick to get a respiratory disease).

It looks like she had a bit of shininess at the nostrils but not a lot. So far she's the only one sneezing etc, but all three have orangey diarrhea. They are very active but seem to sleep more and harder than my last batch of chicks. Both batches came from the same farm.

I changed all the bedding last night. Washed plastic feeders with vinegar and I have begun dosing with tetracycline hydrochloride (d-10?).

Could it be mycoplasma?

Back
Top Bottom