Sick Chick? Crooked neck and droopy wing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by red46, Apr 22, 2009.

1. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    [​IMG]
    This is my 5 1/2 month old chick. I noticed her crooked neck, yesterday and was hoping it was just stress but....

Her neck seems permanently bent off to the left, while her right wing is sagging. I don't think she's eating. I watched her for awhile, this afternoon. She's not acting well. Her poop seems normal and there is no discharge. Her vent is clear and pink.

I've searched and can't find these specific symptoms. Out of 100 chicks, this is the only one showing signs of problems.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong with her?
    judy

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    No idea. [​IMG] Sorry.

Hope someone else can help! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    May i please suggest you edit your title to give a hint of the symptoms? This will attract more attention from the experts.

You could say "Help, mysterious symptoms, crooked neck." or something like that.

Also, it just occurs to me - is it possible that she was injured?

Anyway, here's a bump.

Good luck.

4. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:thanks so much for the hint. I'm really worried about this baby not eating. And it is, just possible she was trampled. I've been working like a fury, trying to get things built in time but these babies, are growing faster than I can work.

Just as I was ready to turn them all out into a run, I noted symptoms of over crowding: attacks, piling and just plain chaos. I didn't have any help, yesterday, but I couldn't wait, I ran them 2 or 3, at a time, out to the run.

There's a ramp but all new, to them and had to be shown. We seem to be getting the hang of things, now but I sure hope it wasn't a day too late, for this little lady.

Judy

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Me too. I hope that you will get some quick answers with the new title. We're trying to build one step ahead of our chicks' growth rate too; i totally understand.

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
  7. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    4hooves&featheredfriends :

I have not had a case of wry neck, however, I have used Poultry Nutri-Drench as a booster for my chicks. Based upon what I have read this appears to be related to a Vitamin deficiency.

Here is more information;

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&pf_id=16796

This is something I've worried about. I don't know if I'm getting enough feeders, fast enough to keep up with their growth. Some are smaller than others, and that makes me suspicious.

Now that I have them out in the run, I have 4 of the long feeders and one huge bucket type feeder, plus I'm throwing on the ground, just in case. I would just die, if any of my babies suffered from a lack of food and water, because of the crowd.

judy​

8. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Well, a second day has ended with the same symptoms. She ate a little, this afternoon but I haven't witnessed her drinking. She still seems the same, no other symptoms so I'm beginning to think it's an injury. Ah, sad.
    judy

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Can you isolate her and look for breaks that maybe can be splinted?

10. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I posted something yesterday with similar symptoms. Mine has turned out to be Wry neck and I clipped the end of a vitamin E softgel and put it on her beak. I also gave her baby vitamins via a dropper for extra help (be careful on how much, just a tiny tear drop size). Someone posted that to me and it has been invaluable. I did read just now on a recent post that we shouldn't do the baby vitamin because it has vitamin A, which counters the effect of vitamin E. Try vitamin E. If that is the problem, then it will show withing 24-48 hours. Mine was pretty obvious within the first few hours, however. Good luck and keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by