Sick chick! Have no idea what’s wrong....

Gramma2008

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Yesterday I noticed this little one in the coop with all the others wasn’t doing well. It’s quite a bit smaller than the others. It seemed to be having difficulty swallowing yesterday. Prior to this the whole flock had just ended five days of Corvid water due to a coccidiosis outbreak. There doesn’t appear to be any one else sick today. I’m not sure what to do for this little one. It’s one of my WCBP. Also it seems to be having trouble walking/keeping balance just now. This morning it was cheeping, eating/drinking. Yesterday it ate and drank as if it had been hungry and dehydrated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 897FEDE0-AB71-4631-AF09-FC7811DDBA52.jpeg
    897FEDE0-AB71-4631-AF09-FC7811DDBA52.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6AF0AF87-B22E-4FAB-B56A-CE3F8C56B261.jpeg
    6AF0AF87-B22E-4FAB-B56A-CE3F8C56B261.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 3
Just an update....sadly this chick passed away only a couple hours after this was posted. Today we had another one in the flock pass away. I had been sitting with the flock for a couple hours, watching and assessing the chicks. Didn’t note any sick looking ones at all. So today’s loss surprised me. I’m headed to TSC tomorrow to see what antibiotics etc they carry. Anyone have any suggestions? They were all treated for 5 days with Corvid last week. Think another round of that? How often should I do that? It just said treat for 5 days.

Just an update....sadly this chick passed away only a couple hours after this was posted. Today we had another one in the flock pass away. I had been sitting with the flock for a couple hours, watching and assessing the chicks. Didn’t note any sick looking ones at all. So today’s loss surprised me. I’m headed to TSC tomorrow to see what antibiotics etc they carry. Anyone have any suggestions? They were all treated for 5 days with Corvid last week. Think another round of that? How often should I do that? It just said treat for 5 days.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm not very knowledgeable about chickens, but let me tag some people who keep them. Hopefully more deaths can be prevented.
Any chance you could send the recently deceased chicken in for a necropsy?
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

Sometimes, bacterial infection takes hold in the intestines with some strains of coccidia. You probably need to treat these surviving chicks with a sulfa drug if you can get it from a vet or pigeon shop.

By the way, Corvids are crows. You mean Corid. And yes, you need to do another round of it.

Prior to this the whole flock had just ended five days of Corvid water due to a coccidiosis outbreak. There doesn’t appear to be any one else sick today. I’m not sure what to do for this little one. It’s one of my WCBP. Also it seems to be having trouble walking/keeping balance just now. This morning it was cheeping, eating/drinking. Yesterday it ate and drank as if it had been hungry and dehydrated.

They were all treated for 5 days with Corvid last week. Think another round of that? How often should I do that? It just said treat for 5 days.
Yesterday it ate and drank as if it had been hungry and dehydrated.
What dose of Corid are you using?
What do you feed?
Please post photos of the poop.

I agree, I'd treat them with a sulfa antibiotic or Toltrazuril.
I'm sorry the chick passed. You mentioned it ate and drank yesterday like it was hungry and dehydrated.
Observe your chicks to ensure all are able to get to food and water stations and are eating/drinking well. Depending on the number of birds, you may find that you need to provide additional stations.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom