Sick Chick! Help!!!!! Lethargic and walking funny

ManawaGirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Hi -
Our first baby chicken ever born at our house named Miracle is 4 months old. She is fully feathered and has been very healthy until yesterday (12-14-16). She appeared to be walking funny, like sort of sluggish and she is lifting her feet REALLY high for each step she takes.
This morning she did not come for breakfast. I found her huddled in a corner by herself. She is lethargic. I tried to dip her beak in water. She doesn't resist but won't drink either. I put her in a little area of the coop by herself with some food. She half heartedly tried to eat but never really did.
It is negative 7 this morning here in Iowa.
I put her in a guinea pig cage and brought her into the house.

I don't know if she's just really really cold or if she has something else. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me, We love our little Miracle.

Also, all other 27 coop-mates seem healthy and fine.

Chickens pick up bacterial infections occasionally. Some seem more prone than others, probably due to a weak immune system. Therefore, I always begin a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic when I see the symptoms you describe. The sooner you start, the better. But you may need the help of a vet to obtain the antibiotic due to new government regulations.

If this was a baby chick with these symptoms, it might be due to nutritional imbalances, but in a four-month old it's far less likely. Just in case, though, you might want to get some Poultry Nutri-drench and dose your hen.

Another cause might be cocci. Watch for others to develop the same symptoms and you might want to start the flock on a round of Corid. Examine the poops for signs of blood.

A heavy worm load can also cause these symptoms. A wormer is another thing to try.

I was half scared it's cocci but she shows no true symptoms of it. I've never been thru the experience with them and coccidiosis, so here's hoping it's just some sort of infection. Any suggestions on a broad spectrum antibiotic?
None of my hens are pooping blood and everyone else acts normal.

Chickens pick up bacterial infections occasionally. Some seem more prone than others, probably due to a weak immune system. Therefore, I always begin a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic when I see the symptoms you describe. The sooner you start, the better. But you may need the help of a vet to obtain the antibiotic due to new government regulations.

If this was a baby chick with these symptoms, it might be due to nutritional imbalances, but in a four-month old it's far less likely. Just in case, though, you might want to get some Poultry Nutri-drench and dose your hen.

Another cause might be cocci. Watch for others to develop the same symptoms and you might want to start the flock on a round of Corid. Examine the poops for signs of blood.

A heavy worm load can also cause these symptoms. A wormer is another thing to try.

And thank you SO much for responding!!!

Update -
Our little Miracle is doing better. She's on electrolyes in her water. Tractor Supply and Lakeside Purina wouldn't give me any sort of antibiotic for her, so we are just doing electrolytes. Our vet suggested Pedialyte, also so we may try that, too. She not back to normal yet, but looks much better than yesterday.

Glad to hear the patient is feeling better. Here is the place where I get my antibiotics. As far as I know fish antibiotics are spared under the new FDA restrictions coming up. But just in case, you might want to get your order in, if you're so inclined, before January 1. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/fish-pen-250mg-60ct/P02207/

I've always used these fish antibiotics on my sick chickens and they've worked splendidly. 250 mg is the perfect daily dose for a grown chicken. I do a ten day course of treatment. I use both the Aqua-pen and the Agua-mox at 250 mg. I trade off so as not to get any one chicken over exposed.

@azygous - What do you use to worm your chickens? I've always put DE in their food b/c you don't have to withhold eggs, but would be curious to see what you use. And Merry Christmas from Iowa!

Hello fellow Iowan.I know you were trying to talk to @azygous but im just going to put my input.DE will not kill worms.Chickens dont need to be wormed unless they have it.Its a waste of money,You are basically filling your chicken with unnatural chemicals.I would talk to @casportpony for worm info.

Back
Top Bottom