Sick chick help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by odphi18, May 3, 2009.

1. odphi18

odphi18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    San Antonio
    Help please. I have a chick who is about a week and a half old. It was doing fine but then today i noticed it looks as though it is gasping for air. what could be wrong? none of the other 5 chicks are exhibiting any symptoms. He just looks as though he cant breathe. Help please
    Thanks Mike

2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it eating and drinking ok? Pooping ok? Could it be too hot? It is staying far away from the light?

3. odphi18

Apr 23, 2009
    San Antonio
    the chick was doing fine up till today. then just went Blah. eating fine, pooping fine, now its like he/she cant breath. he/she is staying away from the other chicks. Dont know what to do. any ideas. mike

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. ahnah74

ahnah74 New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    i found a couple doing this too, but when i turned the heat lamp off for a little then that chick would go back to breathing normally as the temp cooled. so make sure they aren't getting too hot, keep a thermometer in there if you can and if it gets above 90 then turn off the light and let them cool down.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, get the temp down.

6. odphi18

Apr 23, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks to everyone who replied. i think it might have been the temp. i looked at other post and they suggested water with electrolites and vitamins and i think this helped as well. thanks mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by