sick chick! help!

shhmeggie

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
hello I have 8 baby chicks 2 1/2 weeks old, that I bought at the farm center.
One of them doesnt seem to be doing so well. We think she might have injured her
foot, it use to be more active and the last 2 days she has been very weak, and
is one of the smallist ones. We tried to isolate it but she got really upset.
The chick is eating and drinking still but also not moving around very much. Any
suggestions on what I can do to save her? thank you! Megan

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Could you give us a bit more information about the chicks possible foot injury as it will help us be able to help you.

Dawn

If she is weak, try segregating off a portion of the brooder for her. I made a circle of hardware cloth. Make sure she has part of the lamp light in her area, and her own food and water. Give her poly-vi-sol drops twice a day (without iron), and feed her extra protein like hard-boiled egg or washed cottage cheese if she will eat it. This will give her a chance to rest and hopefully recoup. I put a feather duster in for mine to snuggle with.

we have segerated her into another bin, with her own food and water with a little sugar in it. No visual marks of injury just that she is not walking very much, lying down. when she does walk she looks to be not putting weight on her right side. she has got sort of "floppy" not controling her movement very well as well as small twitches as she is lying there. I Know that there are lot of mortality with babies but its hard to watch her suffering...hesitate to give her hard boiled egg...saw something about milk??? thank you again!

The reason I suggested the hardware cloth is that she can still see and hear the others and it is comforting to her. If you have another calm chick to keep her company that would also be good. My chick went from running around, to walking funny, to scooting on her hackles, but after a few days she was running around with the rest--so I think there is hope for your chick with a little help. Others may disagree, but I don't like the sugar water (only briefly for new chicks). Milk cannot be digested by chickens unless it is raw, plain yogurt is much better (sprinkle with crumbles).

So we gave her some hard boiled egg this morning, she defiently has some sort of leg injury, we are just trying to keep her company, warm and happy. Hope she heals, and if she does worried about when to put her back in with other chicks? In a few days or should wait a couple of weeks when she is more feathered out? thanks!

I think it will be very obvious when she is ready to go back with the others. I would put her back as soon as she is healed, as if you wait too long, they may "forget" her, and give her a hard time when she comes back (should not be a problem if she is visible to the others while she heals). Keep up posted on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom